A quick (well, perhaps vast) question about doing large batch mailings with
qmail.  I'm administering a qmail box currently and need to prepare to do
mailings for our current user base (which has now grown to 300K)  Actually,
we are planning on doing weekly mailings based after filtering our
database, so realistically, I may need to mail 50-60K users per shot.  I
have never administered this large of a mailing and my previous experience
is simply limited to writing a python script for flat txt files of emails
(at that time, they never exceeded 10,000)

My qmail server sits on a DELL 4300, PIII, 512K box with a 10Mb/s dedicated
connection.  Because of my inexperience in these matters, I'm concerned on
how to approach this task.  How have other people done this?  How much of a
load can qmail take at a time when sending out batches? (ie. I'm worried
about buffering and potential problems caused with long quenes) What's a
good way to calculate the rate of spawning?  (ie the time it will take the
server to send out 100K messages)  Also, what are the methods that most
people use to actually do the mailouts? (ie. my python script)?  Are there
any good resources out there regarding batch mailing procedures?  Any
advice will be very appreciated.

Thank you,
Thomas

Thomas Duterme - IT manager
Madeforchina.com
Direct Line - (8610) 6417 2665 (ext) 224
Fax - (8610) 6415 1086
Business email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Company URL: www.madeforchina.com
Get a life at www.51go.com