Thomas Duterme wrote:

> A quick (well, perhaps vast) question about doing large batch mailings with
> qmail.  I'm administering a qmail box currently and need to prepare to do
> mailings for our current user baseee (which has now grown to 300K)  Actually,
> we are planning on doing weekly mailings based after filtering our
> database, so realistically, I may need to mail 50-60K users per shot.  I
> have never administered this large of a mailing and my previous experience
> is simply limited to writing a python script for flat txt files of emails
> (at that time, they never exceeded 10,000)
>
> My qmail server sits on a DELL 4300, PIII, 512K box with a 10Mb/s dedicated
> connection.  Because of my inexperience in these matters, I'm concerned on
> how to approach this task.  How have other people done this?  How much of a
> load can qmail take at a time when sending out batches? (ie. I'm worried
> about buffering and potential problems caused with long quenes) What's a
> good way to calculate the rate of spawning?  (ie the time it will take the
> server to send out 100K messages)  Also, what are the methods that most
> people use to actually do the mailouts? (ie. my python script)?  Are there
> any good resources out there regarding batch mailing procedures?  Any
> advice will be very appreciated.

I'm doing the same thing - but on Sendmail at the mo!

I've found the perl module Mail::Bulkmail - you give it a message, and a
file of emails and it will inject it into the queue PDQ.

As for tweaking qmail - I've only a few obviuos ideas - like increasing
concurrency remote.

I would be very interesting from other more experience list members on
the advantage of using qmail and what needs to be done to tweak outbound
mailing.

Also is tweaking would be a factor of machine load, process type, memory
and outbound bandwidth - has any any cluse on what a PIII 600 with 256
meg Ram and a U2W scsi drive will do ?

Any ideas gratefully recieved.

Greg Cope