On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 11:54:55AM -0500, Ian Layton wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have recently installed Qmail on an Alpha box for my boss. I got it to
> send a simulated 100K message per hour through a dirty benchmark I wrote. My
> boss wants more than that. I believe that the slow up is in qmail-inject. Is
> there any way to make qmail-inject faster or bypass it totally? If so...how
> is it done. Also, has anyone else gotten qmail to send anything in the range
> I have?

Well, the real cost is qmail-queue which is invoked by qmail-inject.
qmail-queue is syncing each submission so that it can gaurantee that the
mail will not be lost. Doing lots of syncs to the queue is an expensive
disk i/o operation.

Your solution is to put your queue on a disk subsystem that can sync
at the rate you want to submit (and deliver). Some do this with a faster
disk, some do this with a partition that is spread across multiple
spindles. How you do this depends on your OS type and what sort
of hardware you are willing to throw at it.

Regards.