[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Upon starting qmail, I get a looping error as svscan attempts to
>acquire these two directories, returning this error:
>
>supervise: fatal: unable to acquire qmail-send/supervise/lock:
>temporary failure
>supervise: fatal: unable to acuire qmail-smtpd/supervise/lock:
>temporary failure
>
>Can anyone suggest a fix? Or even a little insight into what these
>locks accomplish...

svscan runs supervise for each "service" in the directory it's
scanning. To ensure that only one supervise is supervising a service
at a time, supervise tries to acquire a lock by opening supervise/lock
exclusively.

I can think of several things that could cause this error, including,
of course, the fact that another supervise has already acquired the
lock. Another would be file/directory owner/mode/existence problems.

The general approach to fixing this problem is:

  1) Stop all qmail-related processes including svscan, supervises,
     anything running as a "qmail" user, qmail-send, multilogs,
     etc. *Everything*.
  2) Double check directory names/owners/groups/modes and the contents
     of "run" scripts against LWQ. Check for extraneous ampersands (&)
     at the ends of lines.
  3) Restart svscan via "qmail start".

If the problem doesn't go away, repeat 1 & 2, and re-run 3 with "sh -x
/usr/local/sbin/qmail start". Cut and paste the output and post it to
the list.

-Dave