greg,

        the 'internal' part of the solution works great, thanks!  Regarding the
'external' part of the solution ... you wrote

>  external.scim.net must allow selective
> relaying; if you're using tcpserver, then add the IP address of
> internal.scim.net followed by ':allow,RELAYCLIENT=""' into /etc/tcp.smtp and
> type 'tcprules /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb /tmp/tcp.tmp < /etc/tcp.smtp'

        but I have a dynamic IP address! [because of the dial-up connection].

        is there a reasonable way to authenticate my server with tcpserver?
        is there a suitable mailing list to ask about tcpserver?

martin