John White wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 09:59:35AM -0400, Mark Mentovai wrote:
>> qmail-send's behavior for remote deliveries (which includes how it deals
>> with qmail-rspawn and qmail-remote) is something that's bothered me for a
>> while.  The system really should manage remote deliveries better.  At
>> present, we have one SMTP connection per remote address.  This should at
>> least be modified to give one SMTP connection for each remote mail server
>> that needs to be contacted for any given message.  The ideal case would
>> allow for a limited number of SMTP connections (to allow for parallel
>> delivery) to any remote host at any given time, and the capability to
>> transfer multiple messages in a single SMTP session.
>>
>> I understand that qmail's structure makes this difficult, but I don't think
>> that it should be impossible.
>
>qmail's structure make this exceedingly easy.
>
>Add the domain in question to rcpthosts.  Add a loop-back entry for
>the domain to smtproutes.  Add an entry for the domain to virtualhosts.
>Create a maildir for the domain.  Create a .qmail-default entry for the
>domain pointing to the maildir.  Use maildirsmtp to transfer all the
>mail stored in the maildir to the remote domain over a single smtp
>session.

That's very easy on a host-by-host basis, and I use it for certain setups.
The problem is that there shouldn't be any "domain in question," an MTA
should make efficient use of a limited number of SMTP sessions when
transferring mail to any other MTA.

Mark

--
Do not reply directly to this e-mail address