Robert J. Munro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> People sometimes visit our office and connect to the office network. They
> are able to receive their POP3 mail through the Masquerading on our
> server/gateway, which is running linux. If they try to send mail, they
> can't because there normal provider-provided smtp server will not accept
> mail from our IP address.
>
> Linux IPChains has an option called redirect, which is designed for putting
> transparent web caches on networks. Could I use this to trap attempts to go
> to an outside mail server, and redirect them to the local qmail, where
> there message can be queued and forwarded as normal, or would qmail not
> like e-mails that think they are going to another server?

As long as tcpserver is configured to set the RELAYCLIENT variable to "" for
clients connecting from within your LAN, qmail will happily accept their
email, regardless of where its going.

Redirecting connections from inside your network to machines outside your
network on port 25 to go to your SMTP server instead is a good idea; some
enlightened ISPs do this for their dialup banks.

Charles