On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 02:03:32PM -0700, Charles Roten wrote:
> than the present Exchange server we are currently using.  We will
> set up a *secondary* MX record for it in DNS, so mail will only
> go to it if the primary is unavailable.  If we lose a critical
> internal network node for, say, a day or two, the intent is that
> this box will act as a "cache" until connectivity is restored,
> then will forward the email it has been storing to the again-
> available Exchange server.

Put the domains you wish the backup box to accept mail for in
control/rcpthosts. Do NOT put them into either control/local or
control/virtualdomains.

Have a /var/qmail/queue which is large enough to store the volume of
mail you expect the backup machine to take. This machine accept mail for
all domain in control/rcpthosts, queue them and attempt to deliver them
to the higher preference MX until it succeeds or 1 week passes, after
which time it will bounce the messages.

If one week is too short, put the number of seconds after which messages
should bounce in control/queuelifetime.

This is standard configuration for a backup MX.

Regards,

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)  -  Programmer Hostmaster  -  IE TLD Hostmaster
   IE Domain Registry  -  www.domainregistry.ie  -  (+353 1) 706 2375