Tony Campisi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 5 August 2000 at 12:59:42
-0500

 > > Your test email is addressed to a user at cardinalservices.com.
 > > Cardinalservices.com isn't listed as in your local files, so it's not
 > > getting delivered locally.  I think you need to add
 > > cardinalservices.com to control/locals.
 > =
 > I added cardinalservices.com to control/locals and it looks like mail is
 > flowing nicely!

Great!

 > ns.cardinalservices.com was in there and I removed it. I then kill -HUP the
 > qmail-send process. Can someone tell me if having cardinalservices.com and
 > ns.cardinalservices.com living together in locals will effect anything?

It means that mail for both cardinalservices.com and
ns.cardinalservices.com will be delivered as "local"; that is, for any
user foo, mail for <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> and mail for
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> will end up being delivered to the same
place.  So what's "right" depends on what you intend to happen.

The loop happened because the MX pointed to you, but the fqdn wasn't
listed as local; so when the mail came in, it tried to forward it to
the destination, which was itself.  One of the things that confused me
was that this wasn't detected; I thought I remembered an error message
for this situation.

 > > There may have been a previous bounce attempt that failed; do you have
 > > aliases for root and postmaster set up?
 > =
 > Yes, root and postmaster were set up following the EXCELLENT Life with qmail
 > guide. :)

Okay, won't worry about that any more.  I did my first few qmail
installs before LWQ existed.  I used it for the first time on a recent
install, and found it very clear and explicit.
--
Photos: http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/ Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon
Bookworms: http://ouroboros.demesne.com/ SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b