Another couple of ideas;

1) Is the user a)dialling up and gets a ramdom ip address or b)are you
hosting him and has a constant ip address?
2) If (a) then get his Caller ID and ban him from dial up or filter his
connection to a slower mail service!
3) If (b) ban his IP from smtp connections to your mail servers... for
investigation in iether situation!
4) Another suggestion editing the /etc/tcp.smtp file with

"ipaddressofconnection".:allow,RELAYCLIENT="",DATABYTES="sizeyouarewillingto
send",TARPITCOUNT="100",TARPITDELAY="5"
(of course you have to recreate the tcp.smtp.cdb)

4 cont) this will allow first "100" e-mails past from the ip range selected
at the size selected and there after will wait "5" seconds before delivering
the remaining (above 100) emails, this will seriously hang the users client
and probably will not be too interested in doing it again!

Anyone have ideas or scripts as to getting notification when the TARPITDELAY
starts to count, or when the TARPITCOUNT has been reached? Advantage being
that the administrator can catch red handed the user and make a decision as
to the best course of action...

Slider

Einar Bordewich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 10 August 2000 at 00:40:06
+0200
 > My tormentor is a customer and is allowed to relay through our
mailserver.

 > The problem is that I want him over on a mailinglist solution. He most
likly
 > will switch to mailinglist eventually, but I think it's a little bit
drastic
 > to block him out just to speed up the action ;-) I feel it would be more
 > correct to implement some limitations on the mail server, affecting all
the
 > users.
 >
 > This because we from time to time have users/customers that pops off a
mail
 > with 100+ recipients. In my opinion beneath 100 is acceptable, over this
 > number it's improper use. I might be out on a limb here, so please
correct
 > if I'm wrong.
 >
 > And yes, if he's smart he can abuse the solution, but then again he's
 > deliberately have to do it, breaking our agreement and policy. I don't
 > belive in policy when there is no hardware or software limitations to
back
 > that up.

If he sets up a mailing list using ezmlm, the obvious thing to use
with qmail, and sends to a mailing list of 1000 people through that
setup, you'll get exactly the same thing you have now.  If you
implement a block on the submission, he'll be unable to use (that)
mailing list.  So I think you need to think this through more
thoroughly.
--
Photos: http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/ Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon
Bookworms: http://ouroboros.demesne.com/ SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b