Michael T. Babcock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > One frequently-proposed (and possibly implemented) solution for such
> > time-critical email is to avoid queuing the message in the first place.
> > Instead, you call qmail-remote directly with your message.  If it succeeds,
> > you know immediately that the message reached the MX you pointed it at.  If
> > it fails -- then you can queue it, if you think it might still get there
> > before the information is obsolete.

> ... on which note ... how much of a hack would it be to qmail-inject to add
> this as an option?

Not a hack at all.  Don't touch the qmail-inject code; instead, write a
wrapper around it (in Python, Perl, or even C).  Try qmail-remote; check it's
exit code, and if necessary, call /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject-orig or
whatever you move the 'real' qmail-inject to.  Make sure you return the
same exit codes that the real one does, or you'll confuse qmail when it's
injecting bounce messages and such.

Charles