On Sat, Aug 19, 2000 at 07:42:04PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Rogerio Brito wrote:
> >     I was looking for more detains about the mathematical side of
> >     the things (e.g., what is the measure of "hurt", in your words
> >     or the cost to which Dan refers?) and like why the optimal
> >     retry schedule is essentially independent of the actual
> >     distribution of message delay times. And why did Dan choose a
> >     quadratic retry schedule and not, say, a cubic one? For some
> >     convenience?
>
> The abstract of the paper:
>
> Chao-Ju Hou and Kang G. Shin, "Determination of an optimal retry time in
> multiple-module computing systems," IEEE Trans. on Computers, Vol. 45, No.
> 3, pages 374--379, March, 1996

Well spotted Richard.

I haven't looked at this particular paper, but one of the benefits of all
the ATM development work that the Telcos have done over the last 5 or so
years is the intense focus on scheduling algorithms with an emphasis
on fairness and optimal resource usage (oh, and charging for every
packet at every QOS level). Admittedly it tends to be for very short
lived queues (such as cell queues in an ATM switch), but if you're into
reasonably heavy mathematics then this area is rich in related reading
material. Personally I only recommend it for insomniacs...

Mark.