On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, Charles Cazabon wrote:

> Stephen F. Bosch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > What about assigning this user a special SMTP port? Can I do this with
> > qmail? Run an additional SMTP service at a custom port number? That
> > would bypass such a block.
>
> Yes.  Run another copy of qmail-smtpd on an arbitrarily chosen high port.

How is this done? I take it there is a switch for it...?

> Also, you might want to use a smarter relay control mechanism than opening up
> an entire /16 for relaying; you could easily get hit that way.  Perhaps an
> SMTP-after-POP solution, like Bruce Guenter's relay-ctrl package.

*Everybody* says that =) But I am using IMAP, and as far as I know AT&T
has the entire 12. class A... unless there are some major spammers at
AT&T, I should be okay...

I know that sounds really dumb. Has anybody got a better idea? I'm open.

If I knew the exact address ranges of above person's dialup I would be
able to narrow it down significantly, but I have no real way of
determining this - and AT&T is unlikely to be very cooperative, given
their decision to close all internal to external SMTP traffic.

-Stephen-

PS to Charles: Are those Develnet guys still around in Sask?