On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 11:11:29AM -0500, Steven Rice wrote:
> come, first serve queue.  Qmail wouldn't handle another list until the
> first list was done.  The remote was around 100/300 and it was sending
> around 30,000 to 40,000 emails an hour, which is good, but not pushing
> the server.

Then you need to investigate which resource is the current limiting
factor: CPU, memory, I/O, bandwidth ... ? Consider supplying more of
whatever is found to be the limiting factor.

> Is there was a better a queue management that would figure, through some
> method, that handling the queue based on address would be better then
> first come, first serve?

There have been many discussion about this.

> I would like this so qmail won't try to send
> 10,000 messages to one server, that can only handle 5000 connections a
> hour

Administrators who allow their public network services to take on a load
which adversely affects other services or users are incompetent. My MTA
will not accept more connections than it can handle.

Regards,

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)  -  Programmer Hostmaster  -  IE TLD Hostmaster
   IE Domain Registry  -  www.domainregistry.ie  -  (+353 1) 706 2375