qmail Digest 8 Sep 2000 10:00:00 -0000 Issue 1117

Topics (messages 48246 through 48330):

Re: Why qmail can not receive hotmail messages?
        48246 by: Jost Krieger
        48258 by: Dave Sill
        48280 by: Adam McKenna
        48290 by: Jack O'Toole
        48292 by: Dave Sill
        48294 by: Adam McKenna
        48301 by: Chris Garrigues
        48308 by: hbchen163
        48314 by: Brett Randall
        48324 by: Petr Novotny

Re: whatsthematternow???
        48247 by: Chris K. Young
        48248 by: olaf behrendt
        48249 by: Thomas Ackermann
        48288 by: Adam McKenna

qmail & t-online.de - NAME_lookup_failed_temporarily.
        48250 by: Jens Georg

Problems with NFS
        48251 by: Thorkild Stray
        48253 by: oliver.koch.jk.uni-linz.ac.at

Re: qmail & t-online.de - NAME_lookup_failed_temporarily. bounda
        48252 by: Frank Tegtmeyer

Re: offtopic: alien threads
        48254 by: Chris K. Young

Re: QMTP
        48255 by: Peter van Dijk
        48276 by: David Dyer-Bennet
        48277 by: Peter van Dijk

mail works kmail/NS messenger don't on private WAN
        48256 by: Phil Rhoades
        48267 by: Charles Cazabon

Re: Mass Mailout Performance Tips
        48257 by: Dave Sill
        48270 by: Ken Jones
        48272 by: Peter van Dijk
        48295 by: Bryan White
        48296 by: Steve Wolfe
        48309 by: Bryan White
        48311 by: Pro-People
        48316 by: Eric Cox
        48320 by: Steve Wolfe

SSL + POP3 + SMTPrelay
        48259 by: Manuel Gisbert
        48302 by: Dale Miracle

sorry
        48260 by: Ingo.Lohmar.gmx.de

ezmlm - allowing only few subscribers to post the list
        48261 by: Yair Zohar

Forwarding unhandle mail to another server
        48262 by: Nicolas MONNET
        48263 by: Johan Almqvist
        48264 by: Brett Randall

where has holdremote patch gone?
        48265 by: Ingo.Lohmar.gmx.de
        48310 by: richard.illuin.org

Re: ezmlm killing mail server
        48266 by: Dave Sill
        48278 by: Michael T. Babcock
        48283 by: Dave Sill
        48285 by: markd.bushwire.net

.qmail-default vs .qmail-user
        48268 by: Manuel Gisbert
        48269 by: Guillermo Villasana Cardoza
        48271 by: Ken Jones

Re: telltale sign of RBL & DUL
        48273 by: Russell Nelson

Re: Timezone]
        48274 by: David Benfell

Please i really help! - mailhost question!
        48275 by: Linux Curry
        48330 by: Robin S. Socha

user masquerading?
        48279 by: Enerson, Marty
        48284 by: David Dyer-Bennet
        48286 by: Petr Novotny

Sqwebmail Problems please help
        48281 by: Bob Dakota
        48289 by: Tim Hunter

Mail marked as read??
        48282 by: Jerry Lynde
        48297 by: Jerry Lynde
        48298 by: M.B.
        48299 by: Adam McKenna
        48300 by: Jerry Lynde

qmail queueing limiting mail servers
        48287 by: Steven Rice

bouncing old mail
        48291 by: M.B.
        48293 by: markd.bushwire.net

bare LF - bizarre behaviour
        48303 by: Steve Wolfe
        48304 by: Chris Garrigues
        48305 by: Chris Scheller
        48306 by: Adam McKenna
        48307 by: Steve Wolfe
        48312 by: Chris Scheller
        48315 by: Aaron L. Meehan
        48318 by: Steve Wolfe
        48319 by: Steve Wolfe

VPOPMAIL AUTHENTIFICATION ...URGENT HELP
        48313 by: tigre21.gamma.qnet.com.pe

Re: Slightly Off Topic
        48317 by: Andy Bradford

Specifying outgoing IP address of qmail-remote
        48321 by: Yasuo Ohgaki
        48323 by: Yasuo Ohgaki

multiple messages after header rewriting
        48322 by: Stefan Witzel

Configure qmail using two ethernet card.
        48325 by: Mark Lo

A strange problem delivering local mail (long and hard)
        48326 by: Javier Ribelles

Log POP3 Activity
        48327 by: Adrian Purnama

bounce mail w/ an attachment how to delete
        48328 by: Kimberly Vher

qmail -relay
        48329 by: orca

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 01:48:00AM -0400, Adam McKenna wrote:

> 2) It is *not* the frigging MX record.  That has nothing to do with it.  Any
> mailer that breaks when there is only an A record is a broken mailer.

And who says so? I'm sure every mailer SHOULD fall back to the A record,
but the RFCs don't demand it.

Jost
--
| [EMAIL PROTECTED]      Please help stamp out spam! |
| Postmaster, JAPH, resident answer machine          am RZ der RUB |

Jost Krieger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 01:48:00AM -0400, Adam McKenna wrote:
>
>> 2) It is *not* the frigging MX record.  That has nothing to do with it.  Any
>> mailer that breaks when there is only an A record is a broken mailer.
>
>And who says so? I'm sure every mailer SHOULD fall back to the A record,
>but the RFCs don't demand it.

They don't demand it, but they do suggest it, and in practice, that's
the way things work. I've got dozens of systems with no MX entries
that receive mail from all over the Internet without any problems.

-Dave

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 12:03:55PM +0200, Jost Krieger wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 01:48:00AM -0400, Adam McKenna wrote:
>
> > 2) It is *not* the frigging MX record.  That has nothing to do with it.  Any
> > mailer that breaks when there is only an A record is a broken mailer.
>
> And who says so? I'm sure every mailer SHOULD fall back to the A record,
> but the RFCs don't demand it.

RFC 974                                                     January 1986
Mail Routing and the Domain System

[snip]

Issuing a Query

   The first step for the mailer at LOCAL is to issue a query for MX RRs
   for REMOTE.  It is strongly urged that this step be taken every time
   a mailer attempts to send the message.  The hope is that changes in
   the domain database will rapidly be used by mailers, and thus domain
   administrators will be able to re-route in-transit messages for
   defective hosts by simply changing their domain databases.

[snip]

   If the response does not contain an error response, and does not
   contain aliases, its answer section should be a (possibly zero
   length) list of MX RRs for domain name REMOTE (or REMOTE's true
   domain name if REMOTE was a alias).  The next section describes how
   this list is interpreted.

Interpreting the List of MX RRs

   NOTE: This section only discusses how mailers choose which names to
   try to deliver a message to, working from a list of RR's.  It does
   not discuss how the mailers actually make delivery.

[snip]

   It is possible that the list of MXs in the response to the query will
   be empty.  This is a special case.  If the list is empty, mailers
   should treat it as if it contained one RR, an MX RR with a preference
   value of 0, and a host name of REMOTE.

Thanks for playing.

--Adam

However, the O'Reilley "DNS and BIND" book does recommend that you always use MX
records (p 94, 3rd ed). Although it is not required, apparently.

Of course, this does not answer the problem which originated this thread. Mr.
McKenna is apparently too snide to care, but it seems he is right, so I guess he may
now gloat at will. Some people are like that.

--
__ Jack O'Toole
__ Vice President

Adam McKenna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 12:03:55PM +0200, Jost Krieger wrote:
>>
>> And who says so? I'm sure every mailer SHOULD fall back to the A record,
>> but the RFCs don't demand it.
>
>RFC 974                                                     January 1986
>Mail Routing and the Domain System
>
>   It is possible that the list of MXs in the response to the query will
>   be empty.  This is a special case.  If the list is empty, mailers
>   should treat it as if it contained one RR, an MX RR with a preference
    ~~~~~~
>   value of 0, and a host name of REMOTE.
>
>Thanks for playing.

The RFC says "should" not "must" or "MUST", so Jost is correct: the
RFC's don't *demand* it.

But, again, in practice, mailers do treat empty MX's in the way the
RFC suggests. At least, I'm not aware of any that don't.

-Dave

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 04:03:29PM -0400, Dave Sill wrote:
> >RFC 974                                                     January 1986
> >Mail Routing and the Domain System
> >
> >   It is possible that the list of MXs in the response to the query will
> >   be empty.  This is a special case.  If the list is empty, mailers
> >   should treat it as if it contained one RR, an MX RR with a preference
>     ~~~~~~
> >   value of 0, and a host name of REMOTE.
> >
> >Thanks for playing.
>
> The RFC says "should" not "must" or "MUST", so Jost is correct: the
> RFC's don't *demand* it.
>
> But, again, in practice, mailers do treat empty MX's in the way the
> RFC suggests. At least, I'm not aware of any that don't.

The author uses "should" in this fashion all through the document -- I am
inclined to believe that he intends it to be more of an imperative and less
of a suggestion.

adam@beetlejuice:~$ grep should rfc974.txt  | wc -l
     29
adam@beetlejuice:~$ grep must rfc974.txt | wc -l
      5

As an aside, I've been running flounder.net without an MX for 3 years now,
and to my knowledge, I have never had a problem receiving mail from hotmail
or any other source.

--Adam

> From:  Adam McKenna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date:  Thu, 7 Sep 2000 16:28:35 -0400
>
> On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 04:03:29PM -0400, Dave Sill wrote:
> > The RFC says "should" not "must" or "MUST", so Jost is correct: the
> > RFC's don't *demand* it.
> >
> > But, again, in practice, mailers do treat empty MX's in the way the
> > RFC suggests. At least, I'm not aware of any that don't.
>
> The author uses "should" in this fashion all through the document -- I am
> inclined to believe that he intends it to be more of an imperative and less
> of a suggestion.
>
> adam@beetlejuice:~$ grep should rfc974.txt  | wc -l
>      29
> adam@beetlejuice:~$ grep must rfc974.txt | wc -l
>       5

Those darned RFCs with 3 digit numbers....they were so undisciplined in those
days about following the rules that hadn't been written yet.  It's amazing
that the ARPAnet worked at all!  ;-)

Next you'll be telling us that RFC823 requires us to use 7 bit characters in
all email.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com

  My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination.  For an
  explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html

    Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft,
      but they could get fired for relying on Microsoft.

PGP signature

Hi, Everybody,

    Since I was a little bit confused by the discussion on the captioned topic, I took
Adam's advice and tried to find other causes for the problem.

    I sent emails to eastran.com from hotmail, 21cn.com (local) and 163.net (local)
respectively. I found out sometimes the messages could reach the destination, but
sometimes nothing happened.  One day later, a  failure message (like the one I
attached with the first message to this list) was bounced back to the hotmail account.

    I've sent a bug report to hotmail staff. No response yet. Maybe it is not their
fault.
    Could anyone tell me what is happening?

Hongbiao CHEN

> Next you'll be telling us that RFC823 requires us to use 7 bit
> characters in
> all email.

Doesn't it? :>

/BR

Manager
InterPlanetary Solutions
http://ipsware.com/

--
Petr Novotny, ANTEK CS
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Quoted from Thomas Ackermann:
> @4000000039b764122c6205bc tcpserver: fatal: unable to bind: address already used
>
> anyone a clue?

Without more from the logs, probably not.

However, I'll hazard a guess. You're probably trying to set up a
qmail-smtpd service? If that's the case, then you should check to
see if sendmail is still running.

Otherwise, another common (at least from what I see on this list)
mistake, for people using supervise, is backgrounding the process
they're trying to supervise.

        ---Chris K.
--
 Chris, the Young One |_ If you can't afford a backup system, you can't
  Auckland, New Zealand |_ afford to have important data on your computer.

Am Thu, 07 Sep 2000 schrieben Sie:
> @4000000039b764122c6205bc tcpserver: fatal: unable to bind: address already
> used
>
> anyone a clue?

hi thomas,
first ensure that no other tcpserver-process is running
ps ax | grep tcpserver

the second thing is maybe the inetd.
i shutdown the deamon  in a script,
then sleep 2 seconds
then start tcpserver
and finaly restart the inetd..

olaf behrendt <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
pace media development gmbh
glogauer strasse 2
10999 berlin
fon: ++49 30 6128084-0

worked out allready, sendmail still running

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 10:05:31PM +1200, Chris K. Young wrote:
> Otherwise, another common (at least from what I see on this list)
> mistake, for people using supervise, is backgrounding the process
> they're trying to supervise.

Yeah, I did that once, the process table filled up right quick and I had to
cold reboot the box into single user mode to fix it.

--Adam

hi there,

we have a nasty problem with qmail which refuses to send emails to users
at t-online.de. delivery always fails with an errormessage saying:

deferral: CNAME_lookup_failed_temporarily._(#4.4.3)/

we tried to fix this by compiling qmail again using a patch as advised in
lwq at http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html#dns-problem, but this didn't
fix the problem.

so, can somebody image what to do next ? note: the qmail-box is located
behind a firewall (ipchains on linux). maybe this causes the problem ?

regards,
jens
department computer science, university of dortmund
linux ... life's too short for reboots!
begin:vcard
n:Georg;Jens
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:University of Dortmund, Germany;computer science
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Jens Georg
end:vcard

Currently, when qmail delivers mail, it looks in the home directory
for information.

Now, the problem is, when this NFS mount fails (due to hardware or
software errors), the mail is bounced in the same way it bounces when
the directory is not owned by the recipient.

Is there any way of making qmail being a little more stubborn? Make it
try again later etc.

--
Thorkild

On Don, 07 Sep 2000, Thorkild Stray wrote:

> Currently, when qmail delivers mail, it looks in the home directory
> for information.
>
> Now, the problem is, when this NFS mount fails (due to hardware or
> software errors), the mail is bounced in the same way it bounces when
> the directory is not owned by the recipient.
>
> Is there any way of making qmail being a little more stubborn? Make it
> try again later etc.

Read FAQ 4.9.

hih,

--
Oliver Koch                           Registered Linux User 163952

F u cn rd ths u cnt spl wrth a dm!

> so, can somebody image what to do next ? note: the qmail-box is located
> behind a firewall (ipchains on linux). maybe this causes the problem ?

I use smtproutes to one of their MX. This breaks immediately if they shut
that one MX down, but I will notice that quickly.

Regards, Frank

Quoted from Robin S. Socha:
> It's "Was: <old subject>". "Was: Re:" does not make sense.

Hmpf, I'll bear that in mind. I'm a very ``learn-by-example'' type,
and most people I know took the simple way out:

)^Anew subject (was

(This was in a place where mutt users were a majority---or at least
the most vocal on-list. :-))

[Re: Gnus]
> Naahhh... It's just that it cures *many* problems I've had with mailing
> lists before.

Does it intelligently remove excessive quoting? ;-) (There was one time
when someone posted a message with a 2800% quoted-to-original ratio...)

>               Cc: me to your heart's content - I ain't gonna be seeing
> no stinkin' dupes, d00d3...

I used to do the DJB thing and bounce duplicates. Then I realised that
it happened so often, that I'd rather save the bandwidth on my server.
It now just discards duplicates.

>                             It's also one of the few MUAs with generic
> support for Maildir (mutt being the obvious alternative).

Yes, Maildir rocks. I even wrote a one-line script that will tell me
how many new messages there are in each Maildir folder.

[snip of some very nice features of Gnus, 2 (out of 3) of which mutt
doesn't seem to implement]

Now, there's something mutt implements that Gnus (the one included
with GNU emacs 20.7) doesn't: Mail-Followup-To and Mail-Reply-To.

Mail-Followup-To is used to discourage duplicate copies, obviously.
Mail-Reply-To is used to give people a ``real'' address to reply to,
for dumb mailing lists that require subscription before posting.

> >> "nuking Redmond will increase the world's productivity by 900%".
> > After that, you still have AOLers to deal with...
>
> You should consider buying large amounts of cattle-prod shares.

If only I can LART them over the wire... after all, the lusers aren't
invading my home, they're invading my Maildir.

        ---Chris K.
--
 Chris, the Young One |_ but what's a dropped message between friends?
  Auckland, New Zealand |_ this is UDP, not TCP after all ;) ---John H.

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 01:02:39PM +0200, Peter van Dijk wrote:
[snip]

> > It's clear that djb's talking about <0a>/LF EXCEPT in line end
> > designators (which can either be CRLF or LF). So basically every message
> > that does not contain LFs that are not line feeds is "safe".
>
> I couldn't gather the "that are not line feeds" part from the docs.

I like that explanation but I still can't make it out of qmtp.txt.

qmtp.txt states 'a message is a sequence of lines' and 'a *message* is
called safe if none of its bytes are <0a>.'

Greetz, Peter
--
dataloss networks

Peter van Dijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 7 September 2000 at 14:27:21 +0200
 > On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 01:02:39PM +0200, Peter van Dijk wrote:
 > [snip]
 > > >
 > > > It's clear that djb's talking about <0a>/LF EXCEPT in line end
 > > > designators (which can either be CRLF or LF). So basically every message
 > > > that does not contain LFs that are not line feeds is "safe".
 > >
 > > I couldn't gather the "that are not line feeds" part from the docs.
 >
 > I like that explanation but I still can't make it out of qmtp.txt.
 >
 > qmtp.txt states 'a message is a sequence of lines' and 'a *message* is
 > called safe if none of its bytes are <0a>.'

The line terminator (conventionally a linefeed on Unix) isn't a part
of the line in this definition, I think.  At least, taking it that way
makes it all come together.  Then it ends up saying that the message
is safe so long as no line contains an embedded linefeed.
--
Photos: http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/ Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon
Bookworms: http://ouroboros.demesne.com/ SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 11:58:04AM -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
[snip]
> The line terminator (conventionally a linefeed on Unix) isn't a part
> of the line in this definition, I think.  At least, taking it that way
> makes it all come together.  Then it ends up saying that the message
> is safe so long as no line contains an embedded linefeed.

Hmm. Terminator not part of line. Good point there. But I think you do
agree the text could use some more clarity :)

Greetz, Peter
--
dataloss networks

I have a private WAN set up - two Linux servers with a router etc in between:

        192.16.0.100    nsw.chu.com.au

and

        192.16.8.25     bcb.chu.com.au

- I can use "mail" to send mail from nsw to bcb no problem (therefore
rcpthosts and smtproutes should be OK) but Kmail and Netscape Messenger
fail with a message like:

        Sending failed
        A SMTP error occurred
        Command: RCPT
        Response: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts
(#5.7.1)
        Return code: 533

I have tried putting both server details in rcpthosts and also the wildcard
domain (.chu.com.au) but still no luck . .

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Phil.
-
Philip Rhoades

Pricom Pty Limited  (ACN  003 252 275)
GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW      2001
Australia
Mobile:  +61:0411-185-652
Fax:  +61:2:8923-5363
E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Phil Rhoades <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> - I can use "mail" to send mail from nsw to bcb no problem (therefore
> rcpthosts and smtproutes should be OK) but Kmail and Netscape Messenger
> fail with a message like:
>
>       Sending failed
>       A SMTP error occurred
>       Command: RCPT
>       Response: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts
> (#5.7.1)
>       Return code: 533
>
> I have tried putting both server details in rcpthosts and also the wildcard
> domain (.chu.com.au) but still no luck . .

'mail' works because it locally injects mail through the qmail sendmail-wrapper.
Netscape and other programs are failing because they try to inject via SMTP,
and your SMTP server rejects this as a relay attempt.

You need to implement selective relaying for your LAN/private addresses.
You can do this with tcpserver, setting the RELAYCLIENT variable for addresses
inside your private network, or with a SMTP-after-POP solution for roaming
clients, or both.  For selective relaying support, see Dave Sill's "Life with
qmail".  For SMTP-after-POP, see Bruce Guenter's relay-ctrl package.  Both
have pointers from www.qmail.org.

Charles
Charles Cazabon                           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
QCC Communications Corporation                   Saskatoon, SK
My opinions do not necessarily represent those of my employer.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>It takes approximately 6 hours for the script to complete, each
>message invokes a separate qmail-inject process as the mails are
>customised with the persons name / details etc.

You could get a large performance boost by attempting to deliver the
messages yourself via qmail-remote and passing them to qmail-inject
only if the qmail-remote attempt fails. There's a lot of overhead
involved in queueing that's unnecessary if the message is immediately
deliverable. However, since sending a message via SMTP is so slow,
you'll need to massively parallelize this process--e.g., split the
list into 300-500 pieces and spawn as many jobs to send the messages.

Alternatively, you could install the bigconcurrency patch and up your
concurrencyremote to 500 or so, but the gains will be much more
modest.

>> Are you running a local caching DNS server? Can I recommend djdns :>
>
>No Im using our colo's nameserver which is only a hop away , but that
>is a good point I hadnt thought of.

Yes, dnscache from djbdns is what you need.

-Dave

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> My apologies for the last incomplete message
>
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have some tips on getting peak performance out of mass
> mailings with qmail.
> We regularly send out newsletters to over 500,000 email address's on
> a weekly/fortnightly basis.
> I've looked through the archives and there are some excellent tips
> but I'm still hoping to push it further as a full mailout takes
> nearly a day.
>
> My current setup is qmail-1.03 with Russell Nelson's big-todo patch
> conf-split is set to 47
> concurrencyremote is set to 240
> We have written a simple perl script that takes the whole mailout and
> pipes it directly to qmail-inject
>
> The mailout flies with the concurrencyremote being hit after the pipe
> to qmail-inject is closed but it takes a long long long time for the
> qmail-inject process to finish.
>
> Does anyone have any tips on how to analyse the performance
> bottle-necks .. disk / bandwidth etc ( this is a redhat linux 6.1
> box) or tips on a better way of doing this.
>
> Regards,
>
> Simon E.

I've had good luck with some rate limiting tricks.

1) Inject 500 messages then wait 2 seconds. This seems to give
   qmail-send time to process the 500 messages and kick off more
   qmail-remotes before it has to deal with the next 500 new messages.

2) Call qmail-queue directly, saves on one fork/exec

3) have the perl script monitor the size of the queue. Slow down
   the rate of injection if the queue gets above 10K or if the
   todo gets above 2K. Qmail's ability to fork qmail-remote
   processes drops when the inode trees get large.

Ken Jones
inter7

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 10:36:38AM -0500, Ken Jones wrote:
[snip]

> I've had good luck with some rate limiting tricks.
>
> 1) Inject 500 messages then wait 2 seconds. This seems to give
>    qmail-send time to process the 500 messages and kick off more
>    qmail-remotes before it has to deal with the next 500 new messages.

This is the problem sometimes referred to as 'thundering herds', because
*one* process is handling the move from todo/ to local/ and/or remote/,
*and* is spawning new deliveries.

> 2) Call qmail-queue directly, saves on one fork/exec

Hardly relevant savings :)

> 3) have the perl script monitor the size of the queue. Slow down
>    the rate of injection if the queue gets above 10K or if the
>    todo gets above 2K. Qmail's ability to fork qmail-remote
>    processes drops when the inode trees get large.

That's what conf-split helps with :)

The real trick to high mailinglist performance is only injecting a
message once. qmail is excellent at high-rate delivery of one message to
20.000 recipients. It sucks at handling 20.000 separate messages all
injected at the same time.

Greetz, Peter
--
dataloss networks

> Does anyone have some tips on getting peak performance out of mass
> mailings with qmail.
> We regularly send out newsletters to over 500,000 email address's on
> a weekly/fortnightly basis.
> I've looked through the archives and there are some excellent tips
> but I'm still hoping to push it further as a full mailout takes
> nearly a day.
>
> My current setup is qmail-1.03 with Russell Nelson's big-todo patch
> conf-split is set to 47
> concurrencyremote is set to 240
> We have written a simple perl script that takes the whole mailout and
> pipes it directly to qmail-inject

There is a qmail patch (big concurrency) that will allow running more
remotes.  The default kernal in RedHat 6.1 limits you to 512 total processes
and half that per user.  I have recompiled the kernel for 2560 total
processes and 2048 per user.  See the file
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/tacks.h.

You may also have to
   echo 8192 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max
   echo 24576 > /proc/sys/fs/inode-max
in order to support large numbers of open files.  I just add these lines to
/etc/rc.d/rc.local so they run during boot up.

I can get about 50K emails per hour using 400 remotes.  That would take 10
hours with your list.  The qmail queue size seems to stabilaze between 10K
and 15K during the run.  There is usually between 300-400 remotes running.

Another thing you can try is to comment out the calls to fsync in
qmail-queue.c.  I found this dramtically sped up queue but not sending.  The
downside is messages will be lost if the box crashes.

> The mailout flies with the concurrencyremote being hit after the pipe
> to qmail-inject is closed but it takes a long long long time for the
> qmail-inject process to finish.
>
> Does anyone have any tips on how to analyse the performance
> bottle-necks .. disk / bandwidth etc ( this is a redhat linux 6.1
> box) or tips on a better way of doing this.

I am currently experimenting with bypassing qmail altogether.  Using shared
memory I fork off 1000 child processes to chew on a list in parallel.  Each
child will call qmail-inject only if its direct attempt fails.  My testing
is still rough but it looks like I can get a 5 to 10 fold improvement.

If you are only doing this once a week I doubt you need to go to such
extremes.  I don't know what kind of bandwidth you have available but given
your schedule do you really need to compress it down to a short time frame.

> > We regularly send out newsletters to over 500,000 email address's on
> > a weekly/fortnightly basis.

(snip)

> I can get about 50K emails per hour using 400 remotes.  That would take 10
> hours with your list.  The qmail queue size seems to stabilaze between 10K
> and 15K during the run.  There is usually between 300-400 remotes running.

  OK, first, please forgive me for jumping in.  I see this sort of question
occasionally, and it makes me wonder why so many steps were necessary.  At
one time, I had to send out just over a thousand messages to recipients
across the Internet, and ran the Perl script (calling qmail's sendmail
wrapper) on my lowly machine.  It was a Celeron 450, with a 512k connection,
an IDE drive, and concurencyremote/local set to 100.  The Perl script
finished within 30-45 seconds (I don't recall the actual time), and the
queue had died down to ~10 undeliverables after just barely over a minute -
which would be about 50,000 per hour, but without any real efforts to speed
it up.

  So, it makes me wonder what the culprit is for persons trying to send many
times that number of messages.  Anybody want to enlighten this poor soul?
It makes me wish I had a reason to send out that many again, so that I could
experiment a little.

> I am currently experimenting with bypassing qmail altogether.  Using
shared
> memory I fork off 1000 child processes to chew on a list in parallel.
Each
> child will call qmail-inject only if its direct attempt fails.  My testing
> is still rough but it looks like I can get a 5 to 10 fold improvement.

   Nice!

steve

>   OK, first, please forgive me for jumping in.  I see this sort of
question
> occasionally, and it makes me wonder why so many steps were necessary.  At
> one time, I had to send out just over a thousand messages to recipients
> across the Internet, and ran the Perl script (calling qmail's sendmail
> wrapper) on my lowly machine.  It was a Celeron 450, with a 512k
connection,
> an IDE drive, and concurencyremote/local set to 100.  The Perl script
> finished within 30-45 seconds (I don't recall the actual time), and the
> queue had died down to ~10 undeliverables after just barely over a
minute -
> which would be about 50,000 per hour, but without any real efforts to
speed
> it up.
>
>   So, it makes me wonder what the culprit is for persons trying to send
many
> times that number of messages.  Anybody want to enlighten this poor soul?
> It makes me wish I had a reason to send out that many again, so that I
could
> experiment a little.

Results for a short test like yours might not relate directly to sustained
throughput.  I have noticed that my reported rate of injection is higher for
the first couple of minutes of a job.  I suspect this is because qmail-send
does not notice the messages in the queue right away.  Someone else
mentioned that injecting for a while and then letting the system catch up
seemed to produce better results.  This might be a similar phenomenom.  I
don't really have a good explanation.

If you have a sufficiently equipped machine, why don't you install multiple
copies of qmail, each w/ its own concurrencyremote settings to the max?
This way you would have a large number of mails being sent out in parallel.
Set your script to inject to each queue separately.

Just make sure that the processes limit of your system allows this.

-makatao

"It is insufficient to protect ourselves with laws,
We must protect ourselves with mathematics."

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > Are you using multiple spindes? Can I recommend that you do.
>
> Do you mean separate hard disks for the queue? .. The queue resides
> on a RAID5 hardware controlled array.

I seem to remember someone saying that RAID5 is exactly the wrong kind
of RAID for a mail queue.  As I understand it, RAID5 does read of the
same sector(?) of all spindles, recalculates parity, then a write back
to all (only one?) spindles.  This would be quite a write penalty if
the RAID controller honored fsync's.

You might want to check the archives for it because my feeble memory
may be fooling me, but I've seen lots of people recommend RAID1+0 for
mail queues.

Eric

> I seem to remember someone saying that RAID5 is exactly the wrong kind
> of RAID for a mail queue.  As I understand it, RAID5 does read of the
> same sector(?) of all spindles, recalculates parity, then a write back
> to all (only one?) spindles.  This would be quite a write penalty if
> the RAID controller honored fsync's.

  Well, I don't think it's exactly wrong, but you're right, it's not
optimal.  RAID5 is very fast for reads, but writes do have extra overhead.
Raid 0 (simple striping, no redundancy) would be the best choice for a
queue, provided that a disk failure (and hence a one-time loss of everything
in the queue) wouldn't be a terribly bad thing. : )

steve

As there were serveral threads dealing with qmail-smtpd
and possible ways of encrypting smtp traffic with ssl/tls in the last time,
someone might have a solution for this prob to:

vpopmail 4.9
qmail 1.03

I use stunnel to encrypt my pop3 traffic.
Works fine with those popular MS Clients...
Due to that qmail-popup is always invoked with localip 127.0.0.1
which causes vchkpw to add 127.0.0.1 to my tcp.smtp.cdb
Therefor I loose my capability to allow only selected clients to relay via
qmail-smtp

Has anyone ever setup pop3s with dynamic smtprelay
and if so what might be a possible solution?

Thanx
Manuel

Manuel Gisbert wrote:

> As there were serveral threads dealing with qmail-smtpd
> and possible ways of encrypting smtp traffic with ssl/tls in the last time,
> someone might have a solution for this prob to:
>
> vpopmail 4.9
> qmail 1.03
>
> I use stunnel to encrypt my pop3 traffic.
> Works fine with those popular MS Clients...
> Due to that qmail-popup is always invoked with localip 127.0.0.1
> which causes vchkpw to add 127.0.0.1 to my tcp.smtp.cdb
> Therefor I loose my capability to allow only selected clients to relay via
> qmail-smtp
>
> Has anyone ever setup pop3s with dynamic smtprelay
> and if so what might be a possible solution?

How are you starting pop3 for qmail, the actual commands I mean?  Minus
the stunnel I am using vpopmail and qmail and the relaying works fine.

--

Dale Miracle
System Administrator

Sorry for that "test message", it was left in my maildir flushed in
ppp-up. I'm experimenting with writing mails offline, and this one
was not intended to ever leave my computer. Won't happen again!

Ingo

Hello,
Is there a way allowing only few subscribers (about  4 ) posting the
list ?
Thanks
Yair

Oh I have a Linux box running qmail handling part of my mail account for
one domain, and I want undelivered mail to be forwarded to an Exchange
machine.

    LL ---- LINUX ----- NT

 Mail =====>     ----->

If an account does'nt exist on the Linux machine, it should be transferred
to the NT machine.

Any idea?

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 03:44:46PM +0200, Nicolas MONNET wrote:

> Oh I have a Linux box running qmail handling part of my mail account for
> one domain, and I want undelivered mail to be forwarded to an Exchange
> machine.
>     LL ---- LINUX ----- NT
>
>  Mail =====>     ----->

/var/qmail/alias/.qmail-default

 containing

$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> If an account does'nt exist on the Linux machine, it should be transferred
> to the NT machine.
>
> Any idea?

-Johan
--
Johan Almqvist

Edit ~alias/.qmail-default, and add the line:
| forward "$LOCAL"@remotehost.domain.com

/BR

Manager
InterPlanetary Solutions
http://ipsware.com/

First of all, I have to apologize for bothering the list with what I now
found in the archives to be a frequently discussed question (sep 5,
variable mail delivery). After searching there, I think the holdremote
patch, updated for qmail-1.03, would suit my needs perfectly.

Problem: The only site to download it that I found in the archives was
        www.warren.demon.co.uk/....

I could not connect to this server by any means, it just wasn't found.
Where has that patch gone?

Thank you,
Ingo

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> First of all, I have to apologize for bothering the list with what I now
> found in the archives to be a frequently discussed question (sep 5,
> variable mail delivery). After searching there, I think the holdremote
> patch, updated for qmail-1.03, would suit my needs perfectly.
>
> Problem: The only site to download it that I found in the archives was
>       www.warren.demon.co.uk/....
>
> I could not connect to this server by any means, it just wasn't found.
> Where has that patch gone?

I don't know if Nick is around still, but I've put a copy of the patch up
on http://www.illuin.org/Software/

RjL
You know that. I know that. But when  ||  Austin, Texas
you talk to a monkey you have to      ||  Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
grunt and wave your arms          -ck ||

Steven Rice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>If you went out and bought a machine, if it's a p something you will run
>into the limits of qmail-queue way before you will even come close to
>the limits of the hardware.  Setting concurrencyremote and
>concurrencylocal will not help.  Even if you have it set to 1000, you
>are limited by qmail-queue and the speed of the other guy's server.
>Qmail-queue simply sucks.

No it doesn't.

>Here's why:
>
>         If you need to send 20,000 to server/domain A, 15,000 to
>          server/domain B, 10,000 to server/domain C and you have
>          listA, ListB, listC, (one for each domain), and you send
>         a message to listA, ListB, ListC, one after another, or
>          even at the same time, ezmlm will process listA, first,
>          and send the whole list to qmail-queue.  Qmail-queue WILL
>          NOT process anything until a message is known to either
>          seceed or fail. The concurrencyremote ratio can fall to
>          10/1000 and stay there until the list is finsh.

Here's why you're wrong:

       qmail-queue just drops messages in the queue and tells
       qmail-send about them. What you say is kind of true if you
       replace "qmail-queue" with "qmail-send", but the bit about not
       processing anything until a message suceeds or fails is, um,
       nonsense.

The problem you seem to have with qmail-send is that it processes
deliveries in the order in which they're received. This property is
known as "fairness", and it's perfectly reasonable in a queuing system
that doesn't support multiple priorities.

It's possible to implement a multiple-priority queue with qmail using
additional qmail installations on the same system (e.g., /var/qmail,
/var/qmail2, etc.) and injecting messages to the appropriate
installation depending upon their priority.

Your monster list server, for example, could have a separate qmail
installation for each of the megalists, as well as one for routine
mail.

>          If there where 12 lists like this, it could easily take
>          4 hours to send 120,000 messages, when your machine and
>          connection allow qmail-send to handle 120,000 message in
>          thirty minutes.

How do you figure that? qmail will keep concurrencyremote
qmail-remotes busy (assuming the resources are available), regardless
of how big the lists are or how many of them there are.

>There's a few thing that needs to be done to improve it:
>
>       - qmail-[send] should not handle mail first come, first serve
>          This may have worked two or three years ago, but today with
>          with dual pII 600 machines for 3 grand, it just doesn't cut it.

Please explain.

>       - qmail-queue should not hold up qmail-send
>            It should be smart enough that if you have 2000 messages to
>            one slow server (sendmail or exchange) it shouldn't hold up
>            the whole qmail-send becuase it's trying to send first come
>            first serve.

qmail-queue *doesn't* hold up qmail-send. What makes you think it
does?

>       - qmail-queue should handle on per server basis and figure out through
>         some type of database the aveage speed of servers/domain
>          and adjust the queue for servers, so it will send as fast as
>possiable

I disagree. Such "intelligence" is tremendously complicating. I prefer
my qmail simple.

-Dave

Sender: sfbosch@earth
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:05:12 +0000
From: "Stephen F. Bosch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Eric Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Timezone]

--
David Benfell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                        [from fortune]

PGP signature

Please i really need help ..
regards
rajat
Date: Fri Sep 08 07:57:54 2000
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

hola

        This would be the DATA they would send... doing that makes it work
fine... If you put only a "Subject" or "From" field, and you do not specify
all the fields (or maybe only the date), it will ignore the rest of the
message, and will show you only the fields you've entered...

        I tried making it work by removing completely /var/qmail (rm -Rf
/var/qmail/*) and reinstalling qmail and fastforward and ucspi, but that
doesn't solve the problem.. maybe it's not a qmail problem, but procmail's? But
I don't understand why it's happened after rebooting the system...

        Maybe the problem is in qmail-local or qmail-smtpd->qmail-queue, as
doing
echo "To: jribelles" | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject
works fine...

        I don't know if in this large mail I've failed to remember something,
but I think all is on... Could anyone please tell me if this is to make me
suffer any kind of problem and how to solve it, or why has it happened? I
can't do anything more with my qmail knowledge... ThanX!!!!

        One last thing... I run qmail-smtpd from tcpserver

/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -u 502 -g 501 -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb 0 smtp
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd &

 --
JAVIER RIBELLES ASCÓ - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AIMPLAS Instituto Tecnologico del Plastico

Does anyone know how to log POP3 Activities on Qmail (qmail-pop3d) ?
I need to log which email that retrieved by a pop3 users.

For example, here what Post Office does:
20000905175728+0700:POP3-Server:Login:[x.x.x.x]:myemail
20000905175728+0700:POP3-Server:Retrieve:[x.x.x.x]:myemail:4176:0:<myfriend@
mydomain.com>
20000905175730+0700:POP3-Server:Logout:[x.x.x.x]:myemail:2

>From that example log, I'm sure that email from
[EMAIL PROTECTED] has been downloaded
by user "myemail", from ip "x.x.x.x",
at "September 5, 2000, 17:57:28 GMT+7".

I'm using qmail+vpopmail.

Best Regards,
Adrian Purnama

>hello,
>
>please help me with this problem. if qmail failed to deliver the emails to
the destination then automatically it will be bounce to the sender right?
if the bounces email have an attachment then how can i remove the
attachment so that only the text file or only the header not the body
will be bounce to the sender.

>please help!
>
>thanks in advance

Hi
Please help.
I have problem.
My qmail-server works correctly.
I set to mode stand-up from
http://www.palomine.net/qmail/selectiverelay.html.
Create a file in /etc called tcp.smtp. I read :

192.168.0.3:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
127.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
:allow
this is OK

# tcprules /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb    /etc/tcp.smtp.temp < /etc/tcp.smtp
This is OK

I don't  finalize stand-up because if  I write my symbol string after a
pattern from http://www.palomine.net/qmail/selectiverelay.html.>
tcpserver -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -u 503  -g 504  0 smtp  /QMAIL/bin/qmail-smtpd
&
My server answer > tcpserver: fatal : unable to bind: address already used
I am afraid but I don't know about what address think my server.

Thank You for your help.
ps: I am sorry my English.

andrej
[EMAIL PROTECTED]