Alexander Pennace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 08:12:41PM +0200, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:

>> I have been alarmed by a posting on linux-kernel that there are several
>> mail applications and MTA's that emit incorrect date/timestamp values.

>> I sent a test message using qmail-inject and found that timestamps are
>> generated using UTC but the correct timezone specification
>> (UTC/GMT/+0000) is missing. Instead the pseudo suffix -0000 is used
>> which to my limited knowledge means that the system has no knowledge
>> about it's timezone.

>> Because mutt is emitting correct timestamps I do not suspect a
>> misconfiguration of my system.

> This is a very frequently asked question.

> http://qmail.faqts.com/

No, that isn't the question he's asking.  That's an answer to the question
"why doesn't qmail use the local time zone," which isn't the problem.

Thomas, the difference between +0000 and -0000 is that the former
indicates that the originating machine is physically in the Greenwich time
zone, whereas the latter indicates that the machine may be in any actual
time zone but the time was generated in UTC for some reason.

-0000 is therefore the correct time zone for what qmail is doing; +0000
would incorrectly imply that all qmail servers were running on machines in
England.

For more details, see:
  <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-drums-msg-fmt-08.txt>

--