On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 08:56:35AM +0800, Brian Baquiran wrote:
> I was considering setting up qmail on a Solaris8 x86 machine until I stumbled upon
>DJB's notes regarding publicfile's performance
>(http://cr.yp.to/publicfile/performance.html)
>
> "publicfile achieves similar results under other operating systems, except Solaris.
>Solaris adds an incredible amount of bloat to every process invocation."
>
> DJB didn't indicate which version of Solaris. Does this still apply to Solaris8?

Probably. But unless you're pushing the limits of your hardware I don't think
that it's particularly important. I've run qmail on many Solarises, both Sparc
and intel, from 2.4 to 2.8. They generally work, but if I need a screamer
system I go for a FreeBSD boxen for the best price/performance.

Regards.