hi,

there r bugs, in qmail + 1 in freebsd (at least for 3.x)

check ipme.c in the qmail source it allocat a 256 bytes buffers
and use it in a structure for an ioctl call to freebsd to get some
information from the network interface.

first the 256 byte buffer is arbitrarily allocated (first bug)
then freebsd trash the memory located "behind/above" this buffer
this buffer is not large enough if you have too many ip aliases
even though the length of the buffer is declared in the structure
(freebsd bug)

for me it crashed qmail-remote and qmail-smtpd (/var/qmail/control) database
problems.

I increased the buffer to 512 bytes and it solved the problem
[it's not clean but it worked for me]

--
Didier Derny
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Le Ven, 15 sep 2000, Doug White a écrit :
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Gustavo Vieira Goncalves Coelho Rios wrote:
>
> > Sep 13 17:12:21 etosha /kernel: pid 3197 (qmail-remote), uid 1008:
> > exited on signal 11
>
> I'll bet you it's bad memory.  Get your DIMMs tested and/or replace them.
>
> Can you build a kernel?
>
> Doug White                    |  FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]     |  www.FreeBSD.org

Didier Derny
[EMAIL PROTECTED]