Hi,

My qmail setup is based on the HOW-TO from www.flounder.net. I am using RH
6.2. When I run /etc/rc.d/init.d/svscan start Qmail starts up without any
trouble, however when I restart my server, Qmail is not being started up.  I
then have to log into the server and run /etc/rc.d/init.d/svscan start.

Here is the first part of init.d/svscan:

#!/bin/sh -e
#/etc/rc.d/init.d/svscan : start or stop svcan.

case "$1" in
   start)
        echo -n "Starting djb services: svscan"
        env - PATH="/usr/local/bin:$PATH" svscan /service &
        echo $! > /var/run/svscan.pid
        echo "."
        ;;

The perms for init.d/svscan are:
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root          548 Sep 16 04:01 svscan

I have created symlinks in all of my /etc/rc.d/rc*.d files to init.d/svscan
the perms for those symlinks are:
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           16 Sep 14 08:17 K30svscan ->
../init.d/svscan

When looking at the other scripts in init.d/ I see that they all have lines
containing:
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
. /etc/sysconfig/network

if [ ${NETWORKING} = "NO" ]
.
.
[ - f /usr/sbin/named ] || exit 0 ]
[ -f /etc/named.conf ] || exit 0 ]

Do I need entries like this in init.d/svscan or does something need to be in
/etc/inittab?

Any pointers to a HOW_TO or guide for using rc.d and init would be
appreciated.

Thanks
David