Hi P.Y. Adi Prasaja,
(forgive me, I wasn't sure how to call you without being rude :)

"P.Y. Adi Prasaja" wrote:

> How about raising the __FD_SETSIZE value on /usr/include/bits/types.h
> itself? And, don't forget to touching chkspawn.c ...

It worked like a charm! Thank you.
(whew, sleepless nights are over now)

I did consider doing what you mentioned above but at this
point was too tired from extensive reading of kernel related
stuff ;) brain -> oatmeal -> yuk!

Anyway, below is my setup, and what I did for the records:

 linux kernel 2.2.17
 qmail 1.03
  (install was accomplished by closely following lwq :)
  + localtime, DNS, big-todo, big-concurrency patches
 changes in qmail configuration:
  $qmailhome/control/concurrencylocal 500
  $qmailhome/control/concurrencyremote 500
  $qmailsrc/conf-spawn set to 1000
 ucspi-tcp-0.88
 daemontools-0.70

1. Inside the big-concurrency patch:
 it said to modify
 "/usr/src/linux/include/linux/tasks.h
  NR_TASKS from 512 to e.g. 2048"
 - directly quoted - which I did.

2. As P.Y. Adi Prasaja mentioned:
 raised the __FD_SETSIZE value in
   /usr/include/bits/types.h
 from 1024 to 2048

3. Just to be sure:
 raised the __FD_SETSIZE value in
   /usr/src/linux/include/linux/posix_types.h
 from 1024 to 2048

4. As Peter van Dijk mentioned:
 added -D__FD_SETSIZE=2048 to $qmailsrc/conf-cc

5. Edit conf-spawn:
  change to 1000

6. make setup:
 bingo!
 no compile errors.
 qmail is idling ok.

7. Change sources back to default value:
  (incase I break something ;)
   /usr/include/bits/types.h
   /usr/src/linux/include/linux/posix_types.h
 both back to 1024

I have not done any stress tests yet but it compiled
properly, and qmail-showctl reports the right numbers
so I think everything is OK now (fingers crossed).

I'm still wondering what will happen if descriptors reach a
level beyond the default (since the kernel is compiled with
default values).

Oh well, if my machine goes up in smoke you'll here from me...

Many many thanks for all your inputs.

cheers,
jamie

off to the races...

-- If somebody can help create a search engine for my room,
   I will call them a Saint...
   GUI == Graphical User Interference