Quoted from Ronny Haryanto:
> On 21-Sep-2000, jim wrote:
> > I changed my user home dir mod to 755, it worked like a charm.
>
> Not a good idea unless you don't care that other users can enter your
> home directory and list the contents (and possibly read the files/dirs
> in it if you set them to be world readable).

Who cares? Online privacy is an illusion anyway. :-) Actually, I had an
account at university, that I thought was fun to booby-trap. Many nosy
types were deterred this way.

The idea was that Solaris 2.6's ls does not filter out control codes.
So I had some files whose names included a lot of fun control codes.
Gets 'em most days.

No one should read the above as an intention to keep others out of my
home directory. Like I said, privacy is an illusion (having worked as
a system administrator for a couple of years), and I've got used to it
long ago.

        ---Chris K.
--
 Chris, the Young One |_ If you can't afford a backup system, you can't
  Auckland, New Zealand |_ afford to have important data on your computer.