O'Yang Kai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm trying to increase the robustness of our qmail environment by setting up
> multiple default routes in control/smtproutes such as:
> :hub1.company.com
> :hub2.company.com
>
> The problem is that the emails will only route to hub1 and never to hub2.
> Before I try to implement round robin DNS or lbnamed, is there any way to
> set up in qmail so that it will automatically fall over to hub2 if hub1
> fails, or do a random choice between hub1/2?

smtproutes isn't really there for this; it's to hardcode the equivalent of
an MX when you want to override that (for an internal domain that doesn't
have one, etc).  Is there something wrong with letting qmail look up
MX records for mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], and using the MX records?  It will
then fall back to lower-priority MX hosts when the higher priority MX host
is unavailable, giving you your desired robustness.

Charles