> > Once the POP3 server has determined through the use of any
> > authentication command that the client should be given access to the
>
> Note the operative word "should" ... "as necessary".
I personally think that should applies to the give access part, not so much
to the lock part... :)

As is stated:
authentication command that the client should be given access to the
appropriate maildrop, the POP3 server then acquires an exclusive-
access lock on the maildrop, as necessary to prevent messages from

My interpretation is that when the server grants access, is acquires an
exclusive-access lock...
But like you said... Its a matter of opinnion...

But still... If you try this little experiment, you will see, that the
session, that stays connected will not be able to read any left over mail
from the mailbox...
I actually do call this an error... ;-)

Goran