On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 02:04:54PM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> Bruce Guenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > This brings me to a question: should the grouping of recipients by
> > domain name be done in qmail-send or qmail-queue?
>
> My gut reaction would be in qmail-queue.  However, that might make it a little
> more difficult to do this optimization when mail comes in via qmail-smtpd.

Why? qmail-smtpd feeds the mail into qmail-queue, just as all injection
programs (ie, qmail-inject, qmail-smtpd, qmail-qmqpd, ezmlm-send).

> > Another question: is it legal in SMTP to temporarily defer one recipient
> > and not another?
>
> Doesn't this currently happen with qmail anyways, because each recipient is
> handled as a separate message and can be deferred, while others go through?

I think he means by way of a non-"250 ok" response during the SMTP conversation.

The answer is that the protocol allows it, but many programs that talk smtp
don't handle it - especially MUAs.

But how is that relevant to qmail-queue sorting the recipients?

Regards.