>Out of interest does the Netfilter  have a large / battery backed cache
>to decrease the I/O / disk bottle neck ?

Yes. 32MB of write cache and 512MB of read. We've found NetApp boxes to work
very well for applications like this.

>Also does your system only send one message - the ones I deal with are
>all individual (both in content and message headers).

Yes. We're doing only one large message at a time (250-750k recipients,
typically), and we shut down qmail-smptd during the run. With more jobs in the
queue and local deliveries being added to the, performance hits the floor.

-Jeff