On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 12:55:08PM -0500, Peter Green wrote:
> also sprach fabrice:
> > >     /usr/lib/sendmail -t -f [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > You might as well add this header line:
> > print MAIL "Return-Path: ...\n";
>
> You can, though it won't do anything. It will be overwritten by the sendmail

I think what Fabrice is saying is that specifying the Return-Path header
is an alternative to using the -f switch on the sendmail/qmail-inject
command line. If you provide the Return-Path header to qmail-inject, it
will use the address(es) specified there as the envelope sender, which
is not quite the same as not doing anything. :)

> program with either [EMAIL PROTECTED] (the literal user and machine
> name where the mail is originating) or the argument to the ``-f'' flag as
> specified above.

Does the sendmail wrapper ignore Return-Path and instead use
[EMAIL PROTECTED]? Certainly qmail-inject doesn't, but I haven't
experimented with /var/qmail/bin/sendmail to check....

> The man page for qmail-inject(8) (which is what the sendmail wrapper really
> calls) says that ``Return-Path is deleted in any case''.

This is true, but only *after* processing it and using it to set the
envelope sender. man qmail-header and see the SENDER ADDRESSES section.
Also, note that the -f option will override this behavior, as will
having an 's' in the QMAILINJECT environment, etc., etc.

> /pg

-thl