Hi Dave,

Dave Sill wrote:

> OK, so where are you stuck?

oops, sorry ;)
I must have sent out the message in the middle of my racing
thoughts.

I was wondering whether to include host2 also as an MX in the
dns records although host1 is the only MX handling incoming and
part of outgoing (none from host2).

> Install qmail on host1 and host2, but skip qmail-smtpd on
> host2. Configure host2 to pretend to be either the MX
> or host1 (e.g., in control/me replace host2 with host1).

Wow, that simple?
Thank you for your input.
 (now I need to find myself another box :)

OTOH, this is where I am confused still:
If I'm correct, I don't need an MX entry for host2 in the
dns records right? (since it shouldn't respond to incoming
messages)

But if host2 sends email out as host1 without host2 listed
as an MX, wouldn't the IP address or "return-path" resolve
back to an "unknown" host, or get denied from the remote
smtp server?

Where-as, if host2 was listed also as an MX, qmail-smtpd is
not running on it so won't the messages get deferred/bounced
if any incoming connections were attempted?

(sorry for this confusion)

Thanks again.

cheers,

jamie

-- If somebody can help create a search engine for my room,
   I will call them a Saint...
   GUI == Graphical User Interference