"James T. Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I was wondering whether to include host2 also as an MX in the
>dns records although host1 is the only MX handling incoming and
>part of outgoing (none from host2).

No, only SMTP servers should be listed in MX's.

>If I'm correct, I don't need an MX entry for host2 in the
>dns records right? (since it shouldn't respond to incoming
>messages)

Right.

>But if host2 sends email out as host1 without host2 listed
>as an MX, wouldn't the IP address or "return-path" resolve
>back to an "unknown" host, or get denied from the remote
>smtp server?

A clever remote server might reverse lookup host2's IP address,
yes. I think it'd be sufficient to set control/helohost to host2's
FQDN. I don't know of any MTA's that check the return path hostname
against the HELO hostname.

>Where-as, if host2 was listed also as an MX, qmail-smtpd is
>not running on it so won't the messages get deferred/bounced
>if any incoming connections were attempted?

Yes, they would.

-Dave