On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 08:48:31AM +0100, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> Another possible qmail attack is it's late bouncing for non-existent
> users. Using a false envelope sender address you could fill up the
> queue with double bounces. I consider this a more serious problem.
> The decision to handle bouncing this way was appearently part of the
> security and modularity concept of qmail.

Vietse's attack was (modified a bit):

while true; do
      qmail-queue&
      kill $!
done

This creates 0 length files in /var/qmail/queue/mess until inodes get
exhausted.  And manual intervention/recovery certainly seems needed.

Dan's response was that this is not completely anonymous since people
are supposed to do process accounting.  (On RH Linux, btwy, the user
is easy to catch since users have their own group).

My question is why is not it better for qmail-queue *immediately* write
the "received" line identifying the user?

Mate