From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2000 12:34 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Qmail repeating system name in address

On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 12:17:25PM -0600, Jamin Collins wrote:

> As it stands currently I've been stuck at testing local delivery.  Every
> test message I tried would result in a bounce.  In the bounced message I
> could see that for some reason qmail was adding additional information to
> the addresses.  For example if I addressed a message to "user@system"  the
> bounce message would show "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".  I only have three control
> files at the moment: me, locals, and rcpthosts.  All of these files have
the
> same information in them.  Originally this entry was "system".  However in
> order to stop qmail from repeating I had to change this to "system.".
>
> Can someone explain why this was necessary?  I feel that if I understand
> this, it will help with future delivery problems.

Jamin. When someone comes to you with a problem, what's the first thing
you do? Do you perchance ask for exact evidence to help you narrow down
the possibilities? Do you perchance want to see the output of what happened?
Do
you perchance want to dive into log files to see what the system was doing?
Do you
perchance want to see exactly what they've done so you can try to reproduce
it?

Guess what? People on this list are no better than you. We need actually
real-life
examples and actual real-life log file entries to understand the problem. So
how
about showing us the bounces (with headers) and the associated log file
entries?

Regards.