qmail Digest 19 Nov 2000 11:00:01 -0000 Issue 1188

Topics (messages 52436 through 52466):

qmail-smtp slow!
        52436 by: Gan
        52437 by: Angel Krustev
        52439 by: Gan
        52440 by: Stanislav Grozev
        52441 by: Philippe Lagente
        52442 by: Gan
        52443 by: Gan
        52446 by: Chris Johnson

Using /var/spool/mail/$USER
        52438 by: Jon

Re: secrets and lies
        52444 by: Russell Nelson
        52452 by: Al
        52453 by: Raul Miller
        52456 by: Michael T. Babcock
        52457 by: Andy Bradford
        52459 by: Al
        52465 by: Russell Nelson

[Announce] oMail-webmail 0.95pre1 released!
        52445 by: Olivier M.

Re: Temporary long delay (Qmail and Real -Time )
        52447 by: Chris Johnson

Virtual Domains
        52448 by: Chris Olson
        52449 by: Chris Johnson
        52450 by: Chris Olson

qmail and /var/spool/mail
        52451 by: Jon
        52463 by: Jose AP Celestino

Re: customizable undeliverable email messages
        52454 by: David Dyer-Bennet

Re: qmail, Mailbox and finger
        52455 by: Edward S. Marshall

Re: Adding CR to bare LFs
        52458 by: Andy Bradford

RBL
        52460 by: Jon Griffin

qmail build problem under SuSE 7.0
        52461 by: David Benfell
        52462 by: Jose AP Celestino
        52464 by: David Benfell

Multilog + Courier-imap Question
        52466 by: luby Gao

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello, I'm using qmail for several domains for relaying , i went into trouble since few days ago when i moved my server to another network , the thing is when i'm telneting to smtp port of my server there is a latency (more than 30 sec) before qmail answers me 220 xyz.xom ESMTP the only thing changed ( that i know) is that full C class network changed to sub 128 network . Help me ! and thank you in advance!

Do you have a firewall betwin your host and SMTP server? Angel ----- Original Message ----- From: Gan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: Qmail mailing list <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Saturday, November 18, 2000 1:55 PM Subject: qmail-smtp slow! > Hello, > > I'm using qmail for several domains for relaying , i went into trouble > since few days ago when i moved my server to another network , the thing > is when i'm telneting to smtp port of my server there is a latency > (more than 30 sec) before qmail answers me > > 220 xyz.xom ESMTP > > the only thing changed ( that i know) is that full C class network > changed to sub 128 network . > > Help me ! and thank you in advance! > > >

no ! server has only global IP address Angel Krustev wrote: > Do you have a firewall betwin your host and SMTP server? > > Angel > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Gan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > To: Qmail mailing list <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > Sent: Saturday, November 18, 2000 1:55 PM > Subject: qmail-smtp slow! > > > Hello, > > > > I'm using qmail for several domains for relaying , i went into trouble > > since few days ago when i moved my server to another network , the thing > > is when i'm telneting to smtp port of my server there is a latency > > (more than 30 sec) before qmail answers me > > > > 220 xyz.xom ESMTP > > > > the only thing changed ( that i know) is that full C class network > > changed to sub 128 network . > > > > Help me ! and thank you in advance! > > > > > >

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 10:14:21PM +0900, Gan wrote:

> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I'm using qmail for several domains for relaying , i went into  trouble
> > > since few days ago when i moved my server to another network , the thing
> > > is when i'm telneting  to smtp port of my server there is a latency
> > > (more than 30 sec) before qmail answers me
> > >
> > > 220 xyz.xom ESMTP
> > >
> > > the only thing changed ( that i know) is that full C class network
> > > changed to sub 128 network .

are you using tcpserver to manage qmail-smtpd connections?
if yes, try the -H and -R switches to tcpserver (no reverse dns, and
no ident).

-tacho

--
   [i don't follow] | [http://daemonz.org/ || [EMAIL PROTECTED]]
   [everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler]

PGP signature

I agree, it's probably a DNS problem.

Check your DNS connectivity with nslookup commands.

Stanislav Grozev wrote:

> are you using tcpserver to manage qmail-smtpd connections?
> if yes, try the -H and -R switches to tcpserver (no reverse dns, and
> no ident).
>
> -tacho
>
> --
>    [i don't follow] | [http://daemonz.org/ || [EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>    [everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler]
>    0x44FC3339 || [02B5 798B 4BD1 97FB F8DB 72E4 DCA4 BE03 44FC 3339]

begin:vcard
n:Lagente;Philippe
tel;cell:33 (0)6 80 45 27 32
tel;fax:33 (0)1 39 44 02 44
tel;work:33 (0)1 39 44 29 99
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.avs-consulting.com
org:AVS Consulting
adr:;;130,136 av Joseph Kessel;Voisins le Bretonneux;;78960;France
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Directeur
fn:Philippe Lagente
end:vcard

I also thought about DNS , server's resolv.conf looks for DNS server on another network, what whould be the exact problem with DNS? Philippe Lagente wrote: > I agree, it's probably a DNS problem. > > Check your DNS connectivity with nslookup commands. > > Stanislav Grozev wrote: > > > On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 10:14:21PM +0900, Gan wrote: > > > > > > > > > Hello, > > > > > > > > > > I'm using qmail for several domains for relaying , i went into trouble > > > > > since few days ago when i moved my server to another network , the thing > > > > > is when i'm telneting to smtp port of my server there is a latency > > > > > (more than 30 sec) before qmail answers me > > > > > > > > > > 220 xyz.xom ESMTP > > > > > > > > > > the only thing changed ( that i know) is that full C class network > > > > > changed to sub 128 network . > > > > > > > > > are you using tcpserver to manage qmail-smtpd connections? > > if yes, try the -H and -R switches to tcpserver (no reverse dns, and > > no ident). > > > > -tacho > > > > -- > > [i don't follow] | [http://daemonz.org/ || [EMAIL PROTECTED]] > > [everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler] > > 0x44FC3339 || [02B5 798B 4BD1 97FB F8DB 72E4 DCA4 BE03 44FC 3339] > > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > > Part 1.2Type: application/pgp-signature

Here is my qmail-smtpd run script ( as in Life With Queue Mail): #!/bin/sh QMAILDUID=`id -u qmaild` NOFILESGID=`id -g qmaild` exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 2000000 \ /usr/local/ucspi-tcp/bin/tcpserver -c 128 -v -H -R\ -u $QMAILDUID -g $NOFILESGID 0 smtp /usr/local/ucspi-tcp/bin/rblsmtpd /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1 Stanislav Grozev wrote: > On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 10:14:21PM +0900, Gan wrote: > > > > > > > Hello, > > > > > > > > I'm using qmail for several domains for relaying , i went into trouble > > > > since few days ago when i moved my server to another network , the thing > > > > is when i'm telneting to smtp port of my server there is a latency > > > > (more than 30 sec) before qmail answers me > > > > > > > > 220 xyz.xom ESMTP > > > > > > > > the only thing changed ( that i know) is that full C class network > > > > changed to sub 128 network . > > > > > > are you using tcpserver to manage qmail-smtpd connections? > if yes, try the -H and -R switches to tcpserver (no reverse dns, and > no ident). > > -tacho > > -- > [i don't follow] | [http://daemonz.org/ || [EMAIL PROTECTED]] > [everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler] > 0x44FC3339 || [02B5 798B 4BD1 97FB F8DB 72E4 DCA4 BE03 44FC 3339] > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > Part 1.2Type: application/pgp-signature

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 11:37:32PM +0900, Gan wrote:
> Here is my qmail-smtpd run script ( as in Life With Queue Mail):
>

> #!/bin/sh
> QMAILDUID=`id -u qmaild`
> NOFILESGID=`id -g qmaild`
> exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 2000000 \
>     /usr/local/ucspi-tcp/bin/tcpserver -c 128 -v -H -R\
>         -u $QMAILDUID -g $NOFILESGID 0 smtp /usr/local/ucspi-tcp/bin/rblsmtpd
> /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1

Try adding -l0 (that's el zero) to the tcpserver options.

Chris

Hi,

I am trying to install qmail, it installed ok and started fine.  I want all
mail to be delivered to /var/spool/mail/$USER, so I used this rc script -

#!/bin/sh

# Using splogger to send the log through syslog.
# Using binmail to deliver messages to /var/spool/mail/$USER by default.
# Using SVR4 binmail interface: /bin/mail -r

exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
qmail-start \
'|preline -f /bin/mail -r "${SENDER:-MAILER-DAEMON}" -d "$USER"' \
splogger qmail

I used the /etc/init.d/qmail script from the Life with qmail to start qmail
with my server.  I am quite to new to qmail and would like to know what I
need to get mail from POP3 (using /var/spool/mail/$USER) and also how I
create POP3 accounts, as the Life with qmail only tells me about using the
./Mailbox thing.

Any ideas?  Thanks,

Jon

Ian Lance Taylor writes:
 >    From: "Al" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 >    Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 22:43:50 -0500
 >
 >    Don't care. What I care about is what the words mean in an actual language.

Oh, so "Microsoft" means small software?  And "Ian Lance Taylor" is
someone who sews with a really long needle?  I'm sorry, Al, but you're
being an idiot.  Words have context, and you discard meaning when you
intentionally lose context.

 > Cool.  ``Open source'' was invented because people thought ``free
 > software'' was a misuse of English.  Now we can see the same thing
 > happen to ``open source.''

Yep.  THAT was a botch.  We should have invented a word, like Debian,
Zembu, qmail, or djbdns.

 > The way I use the terms, DJBware is neither free software nor open
 > source.  It's source-available and no-cost, but it's not
 > modified-redistributable.

Yeah, but it's just so, so close to being free software.  I think that
it's not being modified-redistributable affects its acceptance in the
community, but when I wear my qmail user's hat (as opposed to
developer's hat), the difference is immaterial.  I've got the source,
I've got permission to make changes, and I've got permission to
redistribute patches.

That said, modified-redistributable is a required permission to be
OSI Certified Open Source.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | The best way to help the poor

Thanks for resorting to name calling to prove my point.

-
"One of the best examples of pure democracy in action is the lynch mob"
- AA4YU

On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 10:43:50PM -0500, Al wrote:
> Don't care. What I care about is what the words mean in an actual
> language. In this case English.

Oh?  And what does "OSI Certified Open Source Software" mean in an actual
language, in this case English?

> I do not recognize OSI as a standards body

Sounds like a personal issue.  But I'm interested in how you assign
meaning to "OSI Certified Open Source Software" given your refusal
to recognize something that you're willing to talk about.

--
Raul

Raul Miller wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 10:43:50PM -0500, Al wrote:
> > Don't care. What I care about is what the words mean in an actual
> > language. In this case English.
>
> Oh?  And what does "OSI Certified Open Source Software" mean in an actual
> language, in this case English?

OSI == "Open Source Initiative" I believe ...

http://www.opensource.org/osd.html

> > I do not recognize OSI as a standards body
>
> Sounds like a personal issue.  But I'm interested in how you assign
> meaning to "OSI Certified Open Source Software" given your refusal
> to recognize something that you're willing to talk about.

I don't understand that either ;-).
--
Michael T. Babcock, C.T.O. FibreSpeed
http://www.fibrespeed.net/~mbabcock

Thus said "Michael T. Babcock" on Sat, 18 Nov 2000 13:41:20 EST:

> OSI == "Open Source Initiative" I believe ...

That's funny, I always thought that OSI was the _Open Systems
Interconnection_ internet model proposed by the ISO.  I guess this
goes to show that context really does matter. :-)

Andy
 11:52am  up 16 days, 14:11,  4 users,  load average: 1.28, 1.33, 1.29

> Oh?  And what does "OSI Certified Open Source Software" mean
> in an actual
> language, in this case English?

It means that the software license conforms to the requirements put forth by
the Open Source Initiative, an unincorporated nonprofit entity.

[It is a good idea to use the full name before the use of the acronym in a
document to help reduce confusion when context may be insufficient (i.e.
_Open Systems Interconnection_ )]

One could also put forth the argument that by putting the term "Open Source"
into the leading caps form you are moving from a general noun to a proper
name. It may be even better to use "open-source software" as the hyphen sets
the term as an adjative (as in open-ended). Of course nobody said "you mean
'open-source software' not 'Open Source Software' at the start of all this

> > I do not recognize OSI as a standards body
>
> Sounds like a personal issue.  But I'm interested in how you assign
> meaning to "OSI Certified Open Source Software" given your refusal
> to recognize something that you're willing to talk about.

It means that they do not have a right to define the term "open source" (or
maybe "open-source") any more than the organization that brands something
with "the good housekeeping seal of approval" has a right to  say that
because a blender does not have their seal, it is not in fact a blender.
Even if they were the first ones to use the term blender as it relates to a
kitchen appliance.

They are a group of people who got together and decided they wanted to
control the term "Open Source" via a trademark. After having their attempt
rejected (due to the nature of trademark law and no fault of their own) have
created the certification program. The certification process is a perfect
method to do exactly what they want, which is to define which software has
their blessing. They are not evil folk, bad guys or a threat to themselves
or others. I like a lot of what they are doing.

So how about we return this list to is normal use and let this tread die as
it is not getting anybody anywhere.

-

Al writes:
 > It means that the software license conforms to the requirements put forth by
 > the Open Source Initiative, an unincorporated nonprofit entity.

Actually, we're incorporated.  Not only that, but we're
IRS-501(c)3-compatible.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | The best way to help the poor
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | is to help the rich build
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | up their capital.

Bonjour!

A prerelease of oMail-webmail 0.95 is ready to be downloaded!

Main changes since last release in May 2000:
        * added spanish [rp]
        * added danisk [te]
        * patch for References: & In-Reply-To: fields support [sk]
        * added support for Japanese (big patch)  [sk]
        * optionally compare remote IP with session IP (better security in case of URL
sniffing). [om]
        * now using MIME::Base64 for attachement decoding (much quicker and cpu
friendly)  [om]
        * greatly improved attachment handling (view_attachment)  [em/om]

You will find more infos about this software, as well as an
online demo on http://webmail.omnis.ch/omail.pl?action=about
(version of the demo = currently 0.94)

Download:
  http://download.sourceforge.net/oMail/omail-webmail-0.95pre1.tar.gz

Actuall Todo:
- start the omail-webmail 2 project  (check the omail-devel ML archive
  for more infos)
- add md5-based security to the 0.9x branch.

If you are interested to help, fell free to get the files from the
anonymous CVS, and you are welcome on the devel mailing list.

There are currently 2 mailing lists :

  - omail-news : read-only announce mailing list (for new
    release announces)

  - omail-devel : public mailing list for devel & support.

Thanks a lot for all the people who sent me patches (check the CREDITS
file!) emails and comments these last months!

Regards,
Olivier

 Olivier Mueller - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - PGPkeyID: 0E84D2EA - Switzerland
qmail projects: http://omail.omnis.ch  -  http://webmail.omnis.ch

PGP signature

On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 12:43:55PM +0600, Kornyakov Yevgeniy wrote:
> I have strange delay --
> If clients (or other servers) d't use my
> SMTP server during 10 (or more) minutes
> appear timaut about 1 min.
> After this timeout all working OK - without
> some timeout till next pause from work SMTP server...
> I use tcpserver with -R -H options and Slackware linux...
> I suspect this problem have to do with reduce process prioritet
> and remove all qmail daemons to swap...
> How I can avoid this  ???

This is a guess, but it may be that your SMTP server is having a hard time
looking up its own name. It eventually caches an NXDOMAIN (and an NXDOMAIN is,
I believe, cached for 10 ten minutes), and connections that come in while the
NXDOMAIN is cached happen quickly. Once the NXDOMAIN expires from cache another
lookup must be done, and you see the delay again.

If you're using tcpserver, try adding -l0 (that's el zero) to its options. This
will keep your server from trying to look up its own name.

Chris

Hi all,
I tyring to get qmail to recognize a virtual domain.
In /var/qmail/contol/virtualdomains I have:

astcomm.net:chris

This should make me the owner of the domain, and mail sent to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] should be routed to my mailbox.  I have a
/home/chris/.qmail-default to catch all possiblities.
/home/chris/.qmail-default has:

./mbox

It doesn't work.  I killed qmail and restarted it to read the new files
- still no luck.  I even shutdown the machine and rebooted it to make
sure - still no luck.  astcomm.net is in rcpthosts as well as locals and
is also specified in the /var/qmail/control/me file.  If I put in a
specific alias such as /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-info with 'chris' in that
file, that alias works fine.

What am I overlooking?

TIA,
Chris Olson

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 10:39:21AM -0600, Chris Olson wrote:
> I tyring to get qmail to recognize a virtual domain.
> In /var/qmail/contol/virtualdomains I have:
>
> astcomm.net:chris
>
> This should make me the owner of the domain, and mail sent to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] should be routed to my mailbox.  I have a
> /home/chris/.qmail-default to catch all possiblities.
> /home/chris/.qmail-default has:
>
> ./mbox
>
> It doesn't work.

You should really define "doesn't work."

> I killed qmail and restarted it to read the new files - still no luck.  I
> even shutdown the machine and rebooted it to make sure - still no luck.

It's only necessary to send qmail-send a SIGHUP to get it to reread locals and
virtualdomains.

> astcomm.net is in rcpthosts as well as locals

That's your problem--take it out of locals. A domain should never be in both
locals and virtualdomains.

Chris

Chris Olson wrote:

> I tyring to get qmail to recognize a virtual domain.
> In /var/qmail/contol/virtualdomains I have:

OOPS!  I forgot: 'What Do The Logs Say (TM)'

I get deliver 16: sorry: no mailbox here by that name.

--
Chris Olson

Hi,

Is there any guides to setting up qmail using /var/spool/mail, as all of the
ones I have read just show you how to use ./Mailbox which I don't want to
do.

Any help?  Thanks,

Jon

Do

chmod 777 /var/spool/mail
chmod +s /var/spool/mail

Edit the users .qmail to be

/var/spool/mail/$USER

(*change* $USER to be the user login)

no / at the end or you will have a Maildir not a mailbox.

Done.

Any permission issues?

japc.

Jon wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Is there any guides to setting up qmail using /var/spool/mail, as all
of the
>ones I have read just show you how to use ./Mailbox which I don't want
>do.
>
>Any help?  Thanks,
>
>Jon

Troy Muller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 17 November 2000 at 15:37:16 -0800
 > Hi all,
 >
 > Being new to qmail, I thought this would be the appropriate place to ask
 > this question.
 >
 > How do I (or can I?) go about handling undeliverable email messages
 > differently than what is currently being used.  What I am looking to do is
 > to intercept the message going to any user (all of them), re-write the
 > message to make it a bit more clear for users to debug these problems
 > themselves and also give them suggested hints as to what they could do to
 > verify that the email address is correct, etc.
 >
 > I know if my site (domain) generates the error, I log it and also send this
 > type of info to the user on the other end, but I want to do this when the
 > final destination fails to deliver the message and the remote system replys
 > with an undeliverable email message.  I want to be able to intercept these
 > undeliverable email messages and put them in a format that I think is
 > appropriate.

My basic advice is "it's best not to mess with it".  This is a large,
complex, can of worms, and it's not (in practice) governed by
standards or even written documentation.

If you *must* do it, do a lot of research on what bounce formats
various software recognizes.  Relevant software includes mailing list
managers, MUAs (many offer the option to retry or resend a bounce),
and any sort of auto-responder.  You will be doing the net a grave
disservice if you break these.

Then, what you need to put your new software in control of nonexistent
addresses is a .qmail-default file in the appropriate place.
--
David Dyer-Bennet      /      Welcome to the future!      /      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/          Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon/

On Sat, 18 Nov 2000, Neil Grant wrote:
> now that I have symbolic links in /var/spool/mail pointing to the
> /home/<user>/Mailbox, finger gives 'finger: /var/spool/mail/<user>:
> Permission denied' is there any way aroiund this error?

Yes. Replace your finger client and daemon with ones that understand that
your mailbox is in the user's home directory.

Seach freshmeat.net for possible alternatives.

--
Edward S. Marshall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>           http://www.nyx.net/~emarshal/
[                  Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.                  ]

Thus said "Casey Allen Shobe" on Sat, 18 Nov 2000 03:30:55 EST:

> Hi there, I run a webmail service, and am having some trouble.  It appears
> that not all web browsers send CRLF, but instead send LF only when I
> compose (this is the fault of the widget used for entering email).

It has nothing to do with the composition of the email
whatsoever---it's the transmission of the email during the SMTP dialog
that is the problem.

> Both Netscape 6 for Linux and Konqueror 2 have this problem, as well as a
> bundle of other unix browsers I'm sure.  Is there a way I can have qmail
> automatically convert bare LFs to CRLFs?  This would be *very* helpful.
> Otherwise, I'm going to have to figure out how to write some PHP into my
> webmail service to do it...

I believe there is a program called fixcr but I'm not entirely certain
what it is used for (see man pages).  Probably what you should do
instead is fix your mail injecting webmail service---that's where the
problem is.

On a side note, how are you injecting the email in your webmail?  Are
you using PHP to communicate via SMTP to the mail server?  If so, you
are going to need to ensure that it communicates properly.

Andy
 11:59am  up 16 days, 14:19,  4 users,  load average: 1.20, 1.24, 1.26

Does anyone have a current list of domains to use for RBL that work with
rblsmtp. I entered relays.:
msci.memphis.edu
dialups.mail-abuse.org
relays.orbs.org
dul.maps.vix.com
rbl.maps.vix.com
inputs.orbs.org

And I still get mail that is ORBS and DUL blocked.
Thanks.

Hello,

I've already got qmail running on a couple machines so I was stunned
when I hit this.

My employer issued me a laptop.  I'm putting qmail on it.  So I get to
"make setup check" and I get the attached output.

I looked in the archive.  The only thing I could find that seemed
close was for a Solaris system.  This ain't Solaris, and no answer
appeared to that query anyhow.

This is an IBM Thinkpad 600E with a Pentium II 400MHz and 192MB of
memory.  I have SuSE 7.0 installed on it but have been upgrading
things.  The kernel is 2.4.0-test10.

As this problem looks somehow dns related, I guess I should point out
I've already got dnscache running on it.

Any clues as to what I missed?

Thanks a million.

--
David Benfell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                [from fortune]

./load qmail-remote control.o constmap.o timeoutread.o \
timeoutwrite.o timeoutconn.o tcpto.o now.o dns.o ip.o \
ipalloc.o ipme.o quote.o ndelay.a case.a sig.a open.a \
lock.a seek.a getln.a stralloc.a alloc.a substdio.a error.a \
str.a fs.a auto_qmail.o  `cat dns.lib` `cat socket.lib`
dns.o: In function `resolve':
dns.o(.text+0x11f): undefined reference to `__dn_expand'
dns.o: In function `findname':
dns.o(.text+0x1ce): undefined reference to `__dn_expand'
dns.o(.text+0x247): undefined reference to `__dn_expand'
dns.o: In function `findip':
dns.o(.text+0x2ca): undefined reference to `__dn_expand'
dns.o: In function `findmx':
dns.o(.text+0x3ce): undefined reference to `__dn_expand'
dns.o(.text+0x469): more undefined references to `__dn_expand' follow
dns.o: In function `dns_init':
dns.o(.text+0x4bb): undefined reference to `__res_init'
dns.o(.text+0x4c9): undefined reference to `__res_search'
dns.o(.data+0xc): undefined reference to `__res_query'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [qmail-remote] Error 1

PGP signature

The make process fails to find the named (literally) functions. The functions
raising the errors are located at the

libresolv

libs. At my system: /usr/lib/libresolv.so -> /lib/libresolv.so.2 ->
/lib/libresolv-2.1.92.so.

Hmmm, have you installed the glibc? Of course you have. So where are the
libresolv* ?

Find them hand cp ou ln them to their right locations (/lib and /usr/lib).

Do that and qmail will compile ok (or at least will not fail in this same
place).

japc.

David Benfell wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've already got qmail running on a couple machines so I was stunned
> when I hit this.
>
> My employer issued me a laptop.  I'm putting qmail on it.  So I get to
> "make setup check" and I get the attached output.
>
> I looked in the archive.  The only thing I could find that seemed
> close was for a Solaris system.  This ain't Solaris, and no answer
> appeared to that query anyhow.
>
> This is an IBM Thinkpad 600E with a Pentium II 400MHz and 192MB of
> memory.  I have SuSE 7.0 installed on it but have been upgrading
> things.  The kernel is 2.4.0-test10.
>
> As this problem looks somehow dns related, I guess I should point out
> I've already got dnscache running on it.
>
> Any clues as to what I missed?
>
> Thanks a million.
>
> --
> David Benfell
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ---
> The grand leap of the whale up the Fall of Niagara is esteemed, by all
> who have seen it, as one of the finest spectacles in nature.
>                 -- Benjamin Franklin.
>
>                                 [from fortune]

>    qmail-build.logName: qmail-build.log
>                   Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
>
>    Part 1.2Type: application/pgp-signature

Thanks Jose, but...

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 09:40:42PM +0000, Jose AP Celestino wrote:

> The make process fails to find the named (literally) functions. The functions
> raising the errors are located at the
>
> libresolv
>
> libs. At my system: /usr/lib/libresolv.so -> /lib/libresolv.so.2 ->
> /lib/libresolv-2.1.92.so.

I upgraded glibc on my system, so I've now got (full directory
attached) libresolv files in /lib, /usr/lib, and /usr/local/lib.

> Hmmm, have you installed the glibc? Of course you have. So where are the
> libresolv* ?

Oh yeah.  At least twice.

> Find them hand cp ou ln them to their right locations (/lib and /usr/lib).

Versions are already there...

--
David Benfell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
The grand leap of the whale up the Fall of Niagara is esteemed, by all
who have seen it, as one of the finest spectacles in nature.
                -- Benjamin Franklin.

                                [from fortune]

-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       162474 Jul 30 12:42 /lib/libresolv.so.2
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       414224 Jul 30 12:42 /usr/lib/libresolv.a
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           24 Nov 14 10:45 /usr/lib/libresolv.so ->
../../lib/libresolv.so.2
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       218395 Nov 14 23:59 /usr/local/lib/libresolv-2.2.so
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       647770 Nov 14 23:59 /usr/local/lib/libresolv.a
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           14 Nov 14 23:59 /usr/local/lib/libresolv.so ->
libresolv.so.2
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           16 Nov 15 00:01 /usr/local/lib/libresolv.so.2
-> libresolv-2.2.so
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       651924 Nov 14 23:59 /usr/local/lib/libresolv_p.a

PGP signature

I have trouble combine these two.

What I have done:
1. install daemontools, qmail and courier-imap
successfully (all are newest version)
2. ./run file for courier-imap
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/lib/courier-imap/libexec/imapd.rc start
3. ./log/run file
#!/bin/sh
exec multilog t /var/log/courier-imapd
4. edit "couriertcpd" line in file imapd.rc
   (1) delete -stderrlogger option
   (2) add 2>&1 to the end

What I got:
Nothing appears in /var/log/courier-imapd
but new .u files continue to appear

What I want:
using multilog instead of logger

If anybody knows how to solve it, please reply to this
message.
Thanks a lot!

=====
  Luby Gao
  Department of Computer Science
  Hua Zhong University of Science and Technology
  Wu Han, Hu Bei, 430074
  P. R. China
  Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://calendar.yahoo.com/