Thus spake John W. Lemons III ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> I disagree with the assertion that virus scanners are non-solutions.  On the
> mail servers I run, I have installed some simple virus scanning software,
> and it has, up to now, filtered out lots of incoming virii and trojans, as
> well as a few outgoing virii (which alerted me as to who was infected, and
> allowed me to advise the IT folks so they could go clean it up).  Its not a
> perfect solution, but its far better than nothing, and results in our
> location not becoming a source for that kind of garbage.

Let me get this straight.

Based on the fact that your virus scanner detected a few outgoing virii,
you assert not only that it has detected all of them.

And the role of your IT department is to walk around and clean up virus
infections.

What kind of institution are you working in?
"Mom and Pop's Computer Shop
 South Bryan's Largest Selection of Colored Floppy Disks!"?

In Europe, Elementary Schools have more professional IT departments than that.

> I understand that you don't use windows, so you are probably not aware that
> this is not a correct statement.  I have installed 5 different new pieces of
> hardware on my windows 2000 machine in the last few months, and in every
> case they were recognized and drivers installed and configured with no
> intervention from me other than to hit the ok buttons when it asked it if I
> wanted to install them.

Please ask your maths teacher for the difference between

  5

and

  all

It is not so difficult, really.

> >Everyone has hundreds of options, but the American culture apparently
> >revolves around taking the wrong choice,
> You can't make that kind of universal statement and have any credibility
> left.  We use windows 2000 on many many machines and it serves us well.

One of my favourite sayings is: "Everyone has the computing platform he
deserves."  And for your statements here, you deserve all the Windows
2000 that you can carry.

Felix