On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Russell Nelson wrote:

> Nobody patches the source of perl -- they just go to the published
> APIs and add things.  So why are we patching qmail instead of writing
> replacements?

Nice comparison...of pines and apples. Adding badrcptto (btw: this is a
very useful thing) or big-todo patches to qmail is like changing the
semantics of hashes in Perl. Unlike Perl, qmail has no built-in hooks for
such drastic changes (well, badrcptto can be "implemented" with a
front-end SMTP daemon but this is as absurd as using recordio to make
qmail-smtpd log some diagnostic messages...this is not modularity but
onion-style bloat).

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."