grrr either you have an old syslogd man page or you can't rtfm well!
e.g if you specify
mail.*          -/var/adm/maillog
you have an unsynced maillog
it will work faster but unreliable for sudden power failures!
next time please post your questions to the list and not to my
personal mailbox, as anyone else might be ever interested and as I'm
not your consultant :)

--
Stefan Laudat