On 20 Jan 2001, at 11:24, Stefan Laudat wrote:

> grrr either you have an old syslogd man page or you can't rtfm well!

I have Redhat 6.2 and rtfm for quite a while before I quesioned
you.It mentions the - flag for buffered writes, but it doens't give an
example of it. I loath experimenting on a production machine.

> e.g if you specify
> mail.*                -/var/adm/maillog
> you have an unsynced maillog
> it will work faster but unreliable for sudden power failures!

I'm battery backed up. Hopefully this won't be an issue.

> next time please post your questions to the list and not to my
> personal mailbox, as anyone else might be ever interested and as I'm
> not your consultant :)

Damn, I hate lists that don't reply to lists.. ;) Didn't notice. Sorry, I
meant it to go to the list.

--
              Phil Barnett  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                       WWW  http://www.the-oasis.net/