Alex Kramarov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >I believe there's a small patch to qmail somewhere on the ReiserFS site
> >which makes qmail as safe on that filesystem as on ext2 with synchronous
> >metadata.

> The patch info says :
> Qmail was designed for BSD-like filesystems. And it is unreliable under Linux
> because it assumes that link() is a synchronous operation. This is not the
> case with EXT2 and ReiserFS. So you have to apply this patch to avoid losing
> messages due system crashes

> Is this really true, about EXT2 being unreliable as well ?

Not necessarily.  ext2 doesn't sync the metadata of a file when the file is
synced; instead, it is synced when the directory it is in is synced.

So for safety, you either have to mount the filesystem with synchonous
metadata (as I said above), or have your program sync the directory of a file
after syncing the file.  Bruce Guenter's SRPM of qmail includes a patch
which does the directory sync, so you don't have to mount the filesystem
with synchronous metadata for safety.

Charles