On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 08:52:01AM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> So for safety, you either have to mount the filesystem with synchonous
> metadata (as I said above), or have your program sync the directory of a file
> after syncing the file.  Bruce Guenter's SRPM of qmail includes a patch
> which does the directory sync, so you don't have to mount the filesystem
> with synchronous metadata for safety.

That's actually not a patch.  It's a small object file that replaces the
libc open, link, rename, and unlink routines.  The replacement routines
call the syscall as usual, but after making the call do a fsync on the
directory leading up to the given filename.
--
Bruce Guenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                       http://em.ca/~bruceg/

PGP signature