On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 03:23:14PM -0500, Steve Woolley wrote:
> > The problem is probably with you moving the queue directory (which is a
> definite no-no, because the filenames in there must
>
> So would the proper order have been to:
>
> first: halt qmail processes on original qmail server

I'd leave everything running except your network services, smtp, pop.
Just let the old system run for a week, draining it's queue. The full
sequence is:

1a.     Compile and install qmail on your new system
1b.     Install all control and user files as needed
1c.     Start qmail on the new system (but not popd or smtpd)
1d.     Test thoroughly

2a.     Stop smtp and pop on the old system
2b.     Wait for local deliveries on the old system to complete
        (Normally a matter of seconds)

3a.     Stop qmail on old system
3b.     Remove control/virtualdomains
3c.     Change control/locals (or me) to something different (oldserver.yourdomain?)
3d.     Start qmail on old system (but not popd or smtpd)

4.      Move user mailboxes to new system

5.      Start smtpd and popd on the new system

6.      Wait for mailq on old system to empty (could take days).

7.      newfs old system

If you're using Maildirs and don't mind users seeing empty mailboxes
for a while, you can do step 5 before step 4 and your users will see
much less down-time.

Note that step 3 is necessary to forward all bounces to the new
system. If you don't care about bounces, ignore step 3.

There are variations on this theme. For example, you can set
smtproutes on the old machine to forward all mail to the new
machine. That way you don't have to wait very long for the queue to
drain on the old system.

Regards.