On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 05:45:43PM +0100, Jacques <Frip'> WERNERT wrote:
> ok, on my Solaris, the qmail distribution is "forking" almost 10 to 20
> processes per second.
>
> This cost a lot in system ressources and system calls

Are you kidding?  What kind of hardware are you using?  On my Celeron
PC, I can fork and exec 200 shared processes per second, and almost 300
staticly-linked processes per second.

> So I'm trying to work on a threaded qmail-rspawn to avoid so many forks

I'd be willing to bet it doesn't buy you enough to make it worth the
effort on most modern UNIX-type OSs.  It's also a rather large task, as
the existing code likely relies heavily on globals.
--
Bruce Guenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                       http://em.ca/~bruceg/

PGP signature