Jason Radford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've spent some time looking over the qmail documenation and want to migrate
> from sendmail because of it's lackluster virtual domain support.

You won't regret the switch.  By the way, www.qmail.org has numerous pointers
to information about all the things you mention here.

There are two main packages that do what you want:  vmailmgr, by Bruce
Guenter, and vpopmail.

> The things I would like to do are:
>
> 1. Have email/pop accounts without adding system users (/etc/passwd)

Both packages support this.

> 2. Have clear seperation of the virual domains, with domain1 having a
> seperate directory with it's /var/spool/mail equivelent.  So that mail would
> be delivered to /domain1-com/jradford and another would be
> /domain2-com/jradford

vpopmail handles all virtual domains under one system account.  Not sure how
it separates them in the filesystem, as I don't use it.  vmailmgr uses one
system account per virtual domain, and all users for that domain are stored
under that account's home directory.

> 3. Users getting their pop mail could use a username of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> and other use [EMAIL PROTECTED] to login for their pop3 services and the
> qmail pop3 daemon would know to go to the right /domain directory to retrieve
> their email based on the username/domain combination.

They both support this.  Note, however, that your clients may have to replace
the '@' with another character in their mail client, as some clients silently
truncate a POP3 username at the first '@'.  vmailmgr lets you choose your
own character; IIRC ':' and '%' are common choices.  vmailmgr also supports
an invisible method of determing what virtual domain a user account belongs
to, if you can have multiple IP addresses on the machine.

Check vmailmgr.org, qmail.org for more details, and look in the qmail mailing
list archives.

Charles