Chris Hardie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For one of them, the user wants to have all
> the mail sent to any address @domain.com piled into one Mailbox file
> (we're using Mailbox, not Maildir) so they can then download it via POP
> and route it internally at their organization.  Seems pretty standard,
> prepped easily on our side via .qmail-default.
>
> The concern they have is that if a message is
>
>   From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>   To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> they'll get three copies of the message in the monolithic Mailbox file on
> our server (I tested this and they will with default setup).

That's the way mail works; if there's three recipients, it gets delivered
three times.

> This is bad for them because apparently their re-routing software only looks
> at "To:" lines and not "Delivered-To:" lines - I don't know if that's
> standard or not.

It's broken.  As an aside, getmail will properly look at Delivered-To: for
local recipient addresses.  http://www.qcc.sk.ca/~charlesc/software/getmail-2.0/

> So, the desired solution is to find a way to only deposit *one* copy of
> the message in the monolithic Mailbox file, but with headers intact such
> that their software can re-deliver the message to all the appropriate
> recipients.
>
> I found this script:
>   http://www.qmail.org/eliminate-dups
> but I'm not sure this is its intended (or possible) use.

Yes, this will work.  You invoke it from the .qmail-default file which is
controlling delivery to this virtual domain.  It's the first instruction
in the file, and the Maildir delivery is the second instruction.

Charles