On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, SNFettig Listserv wrote:

> I know this may be off-topic, but since most of the people on this
> list seem to be familiar with svscan, I thought I might try.  I use
> svscan to start all of my qmail daemons and can't figure out how to
> restart it safely on my FreeBSD 4.0 sys.  Thus far, I have tried to
> kill, HUP, etc. for the service itself, with disastrous results...
> What I am trying to do is simply restart all of the qmail daemons.
> Perhaps I'm going about it the wrong way.  pop3d, smtp and the qmail
> rc scripts are all started with links to /service.  Startup is going
> very smoothly, same with shutdown - but no restart.

don't restart svscan, do something like the following

svc -d /service/qmail-send /service/qmtpd /service/smtpd \
     /service/qmail-send/log /service/qmtpd/log /service/smtpd/log

wait for the processes to die off and then do something like

svc -u /service/qmail-send /service/qmtpd /service/smtpd \
     /service/qmail-send/log /service/qmtpd/log /service/smtpd/log

[I dont run a pop3d, but someone with a clue should be able to figure
out the additional magic]

RjL
You know that. I know that. But when  ||  Austin, Texas
you talk to a monkey you have to      ||  Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
grunt and wave your arms          -ck ||