helo foo
250 challenger.skynetweb.com
mail from: <>
250 ok
rcpt to: <>
250 ok
DATA
354 go ahead

It allowed me to enter a null recipient, as long as the RCPT command was
issued (although with a null value).  This resulted in:

@400000003a8bfcf115456d4c starting delivery 270: msg 224533 to local
@challenger.skynetweb.com

It also works if a From address is specified, for thoroughness sake.  It
delivered this message on my system, although I do not know where (assuming
postmaster/mailer-daemon, since I do not have a .qmail-default).  On the
other hand, I just tried it on Outlook Express 5, and it wouldn't let me
send a message without a recipient.  I also tried it on some other MTAs,
just for the heck of it:

IMail for NT:
220 X1 NT-ESMTP Server mail.skynetweb.com (IMail 6.05 3879-1)
helo foo
250 hello mail.skynetweb.com
mail from: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
250 ok
rcpt to: <>
250 ok its for <>
data
354 ok, send it; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>

Sendmail 8.9.3/Linux:
220 support.skynetweb.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.3; Thu, 15 Feb 2001
11:07:36 -0500
helo foo
250 support.skynetweb.com Hello IDENT:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[64.23.32.190] (may be forged), pleased to meet you
mail from: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
250 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>... Sender ok
rcpt to: <>
553 <>... >
data
503 Need RCPT (recipient)

I wouldn't really call this a problem with qmail (and again, like I said, my
installation could just be broken), but I could see how it could be an
annoyance.  However I don't think the MUA should really allow a null
recipient (OE 5 doesn't, Pine 4.21/RedHat doesn't, and Netscape Mail in 4.76
doesn't).  Just a thought.

--
Kyle Knack
Server Engineer - SkyNetWEB/Affinity Internet