Jason Radford wrote:

>  Recently switching from sendmail to qmail I have observed the difference in
>  architecture between the two.  The modularization of qmail appeals to me
>  in both simplicity and elegance, and it's superiority was evident in my
>  smtp benchmarking between the two MTAs.  The only thing I miss from an admin
>  standpoint is the readability of sendmail's logs vs. qmail/multilog.
>
>  While I fully understand the justification of qmail's logging structure
>  because of it's modularization, I am still left somewhat longing for a
>  more readable logfile.  Possibly over time I will develop a
>  better skill for reading these logs, but for now that's my only concern
>  since switching.  There may be tools to aid in this, however out of
>  the box this doesnt seem to be the cause.

Hi,
 One thing that makes the logfile a bit easier to read is to change the
time to human readable format like this:

tail -f /var/log/qmail/current | tai64nlocal

or this

cat /var/log/qmail/current | tai64nlocal | less

If you've installed the daemontools? package, then you should have
tai64nlocal in /usr/local/bin. It would be nice to have a script that
you could look at log files with, that would put the delivery in
subsequent lines and strip out some of the garbage. That shouldn't be
too hard to write for a good perl coder...

Regards,
Mike