From: Tim Hassan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2001 1:43 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Scalable Mail Solution

Hi,

I have used Qmail for over 3 years now and I love it. Now I have came across

one project, building a Mail server to handle around 5-6 million users with
a 10 meg mailbox each (I use vpopmail www.inter7.com for the pop server and
virtual domain part). Now multiplying 10MB x 5000000 users = 50million megs,

which is about 50,000 gigs. Is their such a thing as a 50 terrabyte hard
drive? Well, my users are all in one domain, so I cannot split the domains
across several HDD's. Secondly, what if 2 1/2 million users simultaneously
hit the server, would the server handle it? with a quad p-III Xeon 1ghz and
4 GB or ram and a OC connection.
Well, how does hotmail or yahoo do it? I am sure they load blanace across
multiple servers, but how?
I know all about load balancing with dns, etc. across multiple web servers
for example, but with mail, a specific user has to login to the same box
that hosts his mailbox everytime, and mail arriving from outside world to
this user has to arrive to the same box also.
If anyone out there has gone through something like this, I would appreciate

it a lot if you hint me with a clue :)

P.S. Please cc me your reply, as I am not subscribed to the list.

Best Regards,
Tim