> The short answer to the question about what would happen if 2.5 million
> users hit your PIII server at once. In a word: *poof*

Bad things happen, little gremlins come out of the wood work and data
starts to disappear.

> Check out:
>
> http://www.f5.com
> (f5 Load balancers are cool, Foundry also makes some good gear, I forget
> the URL)

        I highly recommend this!  ArrowPoint looks really neat, but
I've never used it (http://www.arrowpoint.com/).

> http://www.nthgencomp.com/
> (Terabyte arrays)

        Very expensive, same with EMC, and Network Appliances.  If you
haven't budgeted for $1M (or some large portion thereof), then you may
want to look at setting something close to the following up:

Internet
  ->
     BIG-IP
       ->
          First row of MX servers that forward to a large number 2nd
level mail servers using fastforward.  All cdb files synced across the
front row servers, built on a regular time interval (once a minute)
from a database.
            ->   (use qmtp, qmqp if possible)
               Second row of MX servers w/ IMAP, pop3, web access,
etc. that get user data off of an NFS server (use Maildir) format.
Use a quasi-dynamic DNS setup (recommend TinyDNS) to figure out where
to look for user Maildirs (username-host.mail.domain.com), and set the
TTLs to 5 seconds.
                 ->
                     NFS servers - work horses that do nothing but serve Maildir data
via NFS w/ big raid drives.

> http://www.sun.com/
> (Servers that won't blow up under that load and Terabyte arrays)

http://www.freebsd.org/
        Not to start anything, really, but I've run FreeBSD servers w/
an average load of 80-120 for years w/o them crashing or giving me
problems (where a Solaris E450 box folded, put its tails between its
legs, and walked away sniveling after days of configuration tweaks).
Linux: nice.  Sun: better.  FreeBSD: arrived at Mecca.

        Motto: Design distributed with large numbers to scale quickly
and cheaply.  BIG-IP and FreeBSD are your friends.

        -sc

--
Sean Chittenden                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
C665 A17F 9A56 286C 5CFB  1DEA 9F4F 5CEF 1EDD FAAD

PGP signature