I get the feeling this would've already been well and truly covered on this
list, but just out of curiosity I tried it anyway.

On slackware 7.1 installed in vmware under win2k pro and slackware 7.1 on 2
other 'real' machines, all it did was chew cpu and cause qmail-smtpd to chew
some cpu as well. 'top' showed about 48 in the %CPU column for both. I let
it run for about 15 minutes - as far as I could tell from the output of
'free', swap wasn't affected in the slightest. Mail still worked fine - both
'real' machines host around 800 vhosts, each with their own virtual mail
domains. It's a free hosting setup for computer gamers in Australia - they
are generally very quick to complain when something goes wrong  ;)  but not
a peep from them while I was doing those quick tests