Michael Boyiazis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Occasionally our inbound mail servers need a reboot after patching and
> sometimes there is lots of mail that needs to find its way home to the sender
> due to bounces.  Sometimes those remote sites are either having difficulties
> or are so swamped that nothing much gets to them.  I'd like to cut down on
> the time the server spends waiting on them.
[...]
> Seems like a non-responsive server is fine at 1 minute, but 20 minutes seems
> to be an excessive amount of time to hold up one of my concurrent connects
> for a buffer of data or just a reply.  Would it be safe to lower this value
> to say also 1 minute?  I don't want to mess with the defaults if this would
> be a bad thing to do, but I cannot think of why it would be.

Have you actually noticed connections hanging around for that long?
Probably not.  But if you're worried about it, increase your qmail-smtpd
concurrency to compensate for a few sessions being tied up by really slow
remote senders.

To reduce the amount of time the bounces stay in the queue, you could
reduce queuelifetime from its default value of a week to three days or
so.

Charles