> Michael Boyiazis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Occasionally our inbound mail servers need a reboot after
> patching and
> > sometimes there is lots of mail that needs to find its way
> home to the sender
> > due to bounces.  Sometimes those remote sites are either
> having difficulties
> > or are so swamped that nothing much gets to them.  I'd like
> to cut down on
> > the time the server spends waiting on them.
> [...]
> > Seems like a non-responsive server is fine at 1 minute, but
> 20 minutes seems
> > to be an excessive amount of time to hold up one of my
> concurrent connects
> > for a buffer of data or just a reply.  Would it be safe to
> lower this value
> > to say also 1 minute?  I don't want to mess with the
> defaults if this would
> > be a bad thing to do, but I cannot think of why it would be.
>
> Have you actually noticed connections hanging around for that long?
> Probably not.  But if you're worried about it, increase your
> qmail-smtpd
> concurrency to compensate for a few sessions being tied up by
> really slow
> remote senders.

actually don't know if they hang around 20 minutes, but does seem
like the remote connections are not decreasing when sites are not
taking connects.   i'd hope all the "problem" sites would time out
pretty quickly and have qmail move on to more pressing items like
the inbound mail that can be delivered.

> To reduce the amount of time the bounces stay in the queue, you could
> reduce queuelifetime from its default value of a week to three days or
> so.

I'm not so worried about the stuff lingering in the queue (it is now set to
4 days)
but just would like to not "dwell" on slow sites.

--
Michael Boyiazis
[EMAIL PROTECTED]