I tried to "fix" this once, succeeded, then decided it was Not A Good
Thing, and changed it back.

IIRC, some amount of fiddling with the hardware clock and the time zone
settings in the OS (Linux here) resulted in "correct" timestamps on mail
as well as correct timstamps elsewhere.  I think I just said I was in
Grenwich.

It seems to me that there are standards, damn standards, and The Way
Things Are.  Email I get from diverse global origins (eg, this list) NEVER
sorts properly on the actual UTC transmission time due to the variety ways
dates are stamped on messages by assorted MUAs/MTAs.

my $0.02

--Pete